• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How to Create Account at Checkout for Guest

richlewt

Hi

I am now at testing stage with my shop and am trying out several approaches to entering the site. If a new customer comes to the shop and does not want to Create An Account ( I must admit that I would be put off by a shop that demands info before even looking) has a browse, finds an item and goes to checkout he gets hit with the pop-up dialogue Name/Password because he is entering a secure area.

Is it possible to divert him straight to the Create Account page instead of hitting this box and then followed by a Failed Authorisation Page?

thanks

Rich

"May the seam be with you"

How do you know that they are a new account rather than an existing account? If you look at the page, it offers two options: one, log in with your existing account; two, if you don't have an existing account, create a new account.

In other words, an existing customer comes into the store and decides not to log in. They put an item in the cart. They go to checkout. As I read your post, you send them to the create account page. They try to create an account and get an error.

I would agree that the current login.php page is a bit confusing. However, the logic is correct. When you go to checkout, it offers you two choices: log in or create a new account.

Hth,

Matt

Hi Matt

Thanks for your reply. What I meant was a new customer comes to the site. Selects an item say from "Whats New". He is then offered 2 buttons "Reviews" or "Add To Shopping Cart"- so he selects "Add To Shopping Cart". He is then offered "Update Cart", "Contiue Shopping" or "Checkout", so he selects "Checkout". Its at this stage that he gets hit with the pop-up and then the failed authorisation screen, it would be nice if he had a message saying that "Do you have an account? if so Login Here or "You need to create an account before progressing through checkout" Its just that I have never been presented with pop-ups and Failed Authorisation pages like this before with other shops. Its purely an observation not a criticsm.

I also agree with what you said about not knowing if its an existing customer or a new one.

thanks

Rich

Hi

Problem sorted, my mistake. I had put a password protect on my catalog folder while shop is under development to stop people trying to buy from it. This was causing the above problem.

thanks

Rich

Archived