• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Canadian taxes

Logik

Hi, I'm starting a shop in Canada ... I need to include taxes... but taxes are different in each povinces ... any1 knows where I could find a table with all the different taxes or just tell me about them...

thx in advance

To collect ANY taxes in CANADA (or almost any where) you have to apply for and register for EACH tax juridiction (with each proper authority) your wanting to collect tax for. Revnue Canada for GST and EACH provincial Tax Office (PST/RST).

HOWEVER YOU DO NOT HAVE TO REGISTER AND COLLECT RST TAX of goods shipped out of province!

You don't HAVE TO GET A GST (now called BN number) Unless if you sell close to or more that 30000 per year. However you can't collect or claim back GST if not registered. It will have to be included into your own costs. (Same may be the same or simular with RST - check with your provincial tax office).

As for TAXING by province - Quebec is the HARDEST to do - as they add 7.5% TAX on total invoice INCLUDING GST! (Yes they TAX the TAX!) Eveyone else is is on subtotal before GST. Freight costs may or may not be subject to RST. Maritimes is 15% HST (combined GST/RST), Ontairo is 8%, Manitoba/Saskachewan/BC 7%, - Alberta none! I don't know what the Terriories are charging as I never had a business based up there - never charged anything.

PM me if you want.

Good Luck

Archived