osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] Links Manager for osC v1.00

VJ

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were both installed at the same time. If you are able to have a test site, then I suggest trying to install them both on it. That will elimiate the possibility of some other change causing the problem.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi all,

I have successfully installed Links Manager and everything is working as expected in Admin, however, I can't seem to get the actual Links Infobox to display in either the column_left or column_right. I know this is probably a simple problem, but I haven't yet figured it out (even after reuploading the files in the hope that I missed one.) I have added this code to both column_left and column_right independently with no success.

// VJ Links Manager v1.00 begin
 require(DIR_WS_BOXES . 'links.php');
// VJ Links Manager v1.00 end

I have also verified that links.php exists on my server in the right location.

Can anyone offer some guidance on what I might check to get further?

Thanks,

Adam

We see our customers as invited guests to a party, and we are the hosts. It's our job every day to make every important aspect of the customer experience a little bit better. - Jeff Bezos

I think you are confusing the shop and admin changes. That code goes in admin, which doesn't have a column_right.php file.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

I think you are confusing the shop and admin changes. That code goes in admin, which doesn't have a column_right.php file.

Jack

Jack,

Thank you, you're right. I was confusing the two. I was expecting a "links" infobox to show on my main pages in the left column. I typed the links page in manually and it works great. I guess I have to just put a link to the links page somewhere on my shop then?

We see our customers as invited guests to a party, and we are the hosts. It's our job every day to make every important aspect of the customer experience a little bit better. - Jeff Bezos

There are instructions in the readme that explain how to do that.

Jack

Thanks Jack, I've taken a look and it makes sense. I do have a small problem though, that maybe you can shed some light on?

I have entered information on the links submit page and I cannot get away from the

Our link cannot be found on http://www.myotherwebsite.com.
error message.

I have put a link to my store on the above site, but I keep getting this error when I submit. The other website is here. The link to my store is listed under "Favorite Sites" in the middle column.

Would you be able to offer any thoughts on why it is not finding the link? I'm not sure how the Links contrib checks for links when submitted, so I'm a little lost.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Adam

Be sure to set the search phase in admin->Configuration->Links.

Jack

The check phrase is currently set to "derbydogma.com". I would assume then that it is searching for the link that contains this phrase?

Could this mean that I am searching for a phrase like, pets, pet health, etc? Things that are relevant to my site? I apologize about my confusion.

The check phrase is currently set to "derbydogma.com". I would assume then that it is searching for the link that contains this phrase?

Could this mean that I am searching for a phrase like, pets, pet health, etc? Things that are relevant to my site? I apologize about my confusion.

I have tried with another site of mine and have run into the same error. "Our link cannot be found on http://blahblah" even though it does exist.

So I turned off the requirement for a recipricol link and the link submission from the site went through. However, when in Admin-->Links Manager--->Links, I click on the "Check Link" button and an error is returned that says "Error reading URL".

If it makes a difference, the two other site are Wordpress powered and in .php

I would rather not allow non-recipricol link submissions I think that would kind of defeat one of the reasons for having a links section.

I will go through the installation and re-check everything (again), but I sure would like to know what's causing this to happen. Any further assistance is greatly appreciated.

Adam

The check phase should be something unique to your site so it can be found on the other site. If you use pets and the other site has another link with pets but not yours, it will still return that it is found. As for the link not being found, can you get it to work with any site? Try your own first.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

The check phase should be something unique to your site so it can be found on the other site. If you use pets and the other site has another link with pets but not yours, it will still return that it is found. As for the link not being found, can you get it to work with any site? Try your own first.

Jack

Jack, thank you for your continued attention. Here's a layout of the issues I'm having:

LINK SUBMISSIONS FROM MY SITE

The link submission process returns the error "Our link cannot be found on"...whatever website I put it on. I have tried four of my own sites.

CHECK LINK IN ADMIN RETURNS ERROR

I have 6 links set up and when I hit the "Check Link" button, every one returns this error "Link Check Result: Error Reading URL"

LINK EXCHANGE SERVICE ERRORS

I have signed up with a couple free link exchange services to see how they work. When I put a link from there on my links.php page using the Links Manager and then accept a link from the service, the perform a check to see if their link is on the page I said it was. Both services have failed to find their link.

The page I point them too is http://mysite.com/links.php or http://mysite.com/links.php?lPath=4. I have tried both. In both instances, the services fail to find their link. The address above with the redirect seems to be a problem with at least one service as they specifically state...

Redirect links - is this a problem?

Yes. This is an HREF link like 'http://www.example.com/?link=10'. When clicked, this pulls the actual HREF (the one we supplied) from a database. It is usually used so that webmasters can count their outgoing clicks. This is not supported because it provides no PR benefit to the 'linked to' site, and the page 'http://www.example.com/?link=10' will only ever have one incoming link and so have no PR. Only the exact HREF supplied will be verified.

So, it appears I may have a couple of different issues here (or maybe they're related?). If the redirect issue is a no no with this link exchange, I would assume that this is across the board with other services too. That's just my assumption though, and you know what they say about assuming;)

If you could shed any light on the redirect subject and how that affects the usefulness of the Links Manager contrib, I would be very grateful. I just want to know if continuing with this is worthwhile. I hope there are solutions to these issues as I believe having links would help bring visitors.

If you can help further, that would be great. I know you're a busy guy on here;)

Redirect links are a problem for those servers. You can turn that option off in the links settings. I can't say why your link checking is not working. Possibly something on your server. If possible, install a links manager into a clean, test shop and see if it works there.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Redirect links are a problem for those servers. You can turn that option off in the links settings. I can't say why your link checking is not working. Possibly something on your server. If possible, install a links manager into a clean, test shop and see if it works there.

Jack

Hi Jack, thanks, I will try installing on a fresh install. However, I cannot seem to find a setting in Configuration-->Links to turn off the redirect option. Could you guide me to that?

hi,

i have following problems:

first: what is that supposed to mean? What do I have to do?:

1. Run this extra MySql statement to get control over the categories diplayed per row.

INSERT INTO `configuration` VALUES (2140, 'Categories To List Per Row', 'MAX_DISPLAY_CATEGORIES_PER_ROW', '3', 'How many Link categories to list per row', 6502, 20, '2006-12-10 15:10:49', '2003-07-19 00:52:14', NULL, NULL);

----------------------------

2. To get the 'Our Link-Information' - Configuration into the

OSC Configuration,

Execute the SQL:

Add Links Manager ToConfig.sql

and where should that belong to? Because I don't know i just have the text:

LINKS_MANAGER_MYINFO_TITLE

LINKS_MANAGER_LINK_NAME LINKS_MANAGER_LINK_VALUE

LINKS_MANAGER_LINK_DESCR_NAME LINKS_MANAGER_LINK_DESCR_VALUE

LINKS_MANAGER_URL_NAME LINKS_MANAGER_URL_VALUE

The other problem is:

Links

Below is our list of links for the Shopping category.

1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'xor ld.language_id = '99')' at line 1

select count(l.links_id) as total from links_description ld, links l, links_to_link_categories l2lc where l.links_status = '2' and l.links_id = l2lc.links_id and ld.links_id = l2lc.links_id and l2lc.link_categories_id = '1' and ( ld.language_id = '2' xor ld.language_id = '99')

[TEP STOP]

Please HELP :'(

Thank you

Jana

Hi,

the first Problem I have fixed but the second one I still don't know what to do :'(

How to get the: 'Our Link-Information'

working?

where in "mysql" do I have to go? And what do I have to change or write or replace :blink: I really have no idea on this

Thanks

Regarts

Jana

I just installed this and I did it when my FTP is not working so well. But I think I got everything uploaded correctly and everything works fine as fas as adding the links and stuff but on the site when you try to get to the links categories I am getting

The page cannot be found

I can not figure out what creates this page

http://grunionfabrication.com/links-links-1.html

so I dont know what I am missing......

You can try it here

http://grunionfabrication.com/links.php

Thanks Jack, I didnt realize I had a redirect going on but that worked. I am however having another problem. None of the links show up after you click on the category headers (the counts show up but no links) I found this post with someone having the same problem

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?s=&...st&p=967794

and looked at your fixes for the language order but I only have one language in my shop which is english (Admin > Localization > Languages).

Could this be the problem as to why they are not showing up? I have rechecked all of my files and all the sql changes and everything seems to be there so i am lost. Any info would be great.

When you edit a link in admin, does it have the English language selected? Are the other languages turned off in admin->Configuration->Links?

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

When you edit a link in admin, does it have the English language selected? Are the other languages turned off in admin->Configuration->Links?

Jack

All of the other languages are set to "False" In admin->Configuration->Links and I have tried to set the link to english or All and neither option works.