• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

STATIC IP ADDRESS

spikesforu

I would also be very careful running a web server on the web that isn't protected by a firewall. There are several linux based firewalls out there that you can configure to update dynamic DNS servers or build your own box.

FOR THOSE PEOPLE OUT THERE THAT HOST THER OWN WEBSITE DO YOU ALL HAVE YOUR OWN STATIC IP ADDRESS OR IS THERE A WAY HOST USING DYNAMIC IP ADDRESS. IF THERE IS WITH WHO AND HOW?

Use static IP address or DNS host lookup (works fine with static or dynamic) - with OSC does not mater - unless you have SSL cert. then you need STATIC only-or it will break the SSL security.

DNS - Domain Name Service - IE translates that www.whateversite.com or http://yoursite.subhost.yourhost.com to an IP address- DYNAMICALLY. For Dynamic IP address you have to use your providers' DNS server as they control the dynamic IP addresses issued to that vhost/computer (so they can match the DNS request to the correct IP address).

Static IP - you can use ANY DNS server (ie:networksolutions.com) - however if not use your ISP's DNS server then any changes to your IP address - you might have to MANUALLY update the DNS server that lists your domain name.

Good Luck

You can sign up for a static dns for a dynamic ip here not sure what they're like as i have 8 static ip's :P

Patch

The reason i ask is because i have 5 static ip address but pay 65.99 for the service. Is that reasonable price a=or there a better servce out there so I don't have to pay so much.

65.99 is that $ or ? or euro and is that per month or yearly? Also what connectivity do you have? I work for an ISP and we do not charge extra for small blocks of IP's but it depends on what services you also have. eg a leased line or broadband.

65.99 is that $ or ? or euro and is that per month or yearly? Also what connectivity do you have? I work for an ISP and we do not charge extra for small blocks of IP's but it depends on what services you also have. eg a leased line or broadband.

monthly and I have broadband

monthly and I have broadband

dollar

I wouldnt be to happy paying that much a month but I am not able to point you in a direction of an ISP that would give you a better service as I am no in the US. Sorry.

You can sign up for a static dns for a dynamic ip here not sure what they're like as i have 8 static ip's :P

Patch

The reason i ask is because i have 5 static ip address but pay 65.99 for the service. Is that reasonable price a=or there a better servce out there so I don't have to pay so much.

When i signed up with my ISP they gave me 8 static ip's, which was pretty good and at no extra cost, just had to justify it, so told them i was running a home network.

Patch

Archived