• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Different Check for Gifts - Will Sponsor

tomcoh

Last year I went out with my first version of osCommerce close to the holidays, since then I've learned many things. I deal in the gift basket business and almost all my sales are gifts. osCommerce isn't the best solution, especially when people are buying multiple gifts for multiple people. I'd say about 50% of my customers last year complained about the check out process when buying multiple gifts. This combined with the inability to attach a message to the product was another major complaint.

Imagine using OSC and trying to purchase gifts for your mom, aunt, and grand father, each with different shipping addresses and cards attached to each item.

This year I need something different. My site is bigredbow.net

I need the following:

1. Ability to enter the recipient's address on the product page itself

2. Ability to enter a 6 line gift message on the product page itself

I have people coming in that buy 10 at a time which all ship to different addresses, this is an absolute must have this year.

I need something almost exactly like this:

http://www.winecountrygiftbaskets.com/prod...+13+718&edp=692

Steps 1 is not necessary, however, it would be a nice feature.

Step 4, moving the shipping method onto the item is necessary, however, the ship date section is not.

Anyone want to take a crack at it? I can sponsor it to a certain extent(this site doesn't generate millions). I need this to be built on the latest MS2 release so that it can be easily contributed back to the public.

Thanks,

David

You can do steps 2 and 3 with the product attributes - option type feature contribution (allows text attributes). Step 4 (without shipdate) is just a regular attribute with the standard drop down menu.

Steps 1 and ship date from 4 would be all that requires custom coding--and you said that they are optional.

Hth,

Matt

This is true, you can do this with the property attributes, however, when you go to check out there is still the checkout process as it exists today, which does not work for what I need.

Anyone else want to take a crack?

Thanks,

David

So, you'd like a complete re-write of the checkout process?

Sounds like a pretty major project. It certainly won't come cheap.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

I'm on a November 2002 snapshot, so I do not know what exactly is in 2.2 MS2, but in the snapshot I have you select the shipping address in checkout_shipping.php.

Since shipping is free on my site and is only an upgradeable attribute this page does not need exist. Is there a way to eliminate it from the checkout flow as well as any reference to the delivery address easily?

David

I don't know about 'easily' but sure it can be done.

However, I consider myself an intermediate php programmer, and I don't think that it would be an 'easy' thing for me to do.

You'd want to start by looking at what happens when you click on the 'continue' button on the checkout_shipping.php page. I'm sure it updates the order with the shipping address and option selected, and then redirects to the checkout payment page. You could probably hardcode those values in, making the shipping address the same as the customer address, and the shipping method could be whatever you want. Then move all of that to be what happens when you click on the "checkout" button in the shopping cart instead.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

I don't think that there is so much work in it. Note that you could get this effect by making the product downloadable. If someone only buys downloadable products, I believe that it skips checkout_shipping.php now (that's the only problem right, you don't want it to display checkout_shipping.php but go straight to checkout_payment.php).

You could either disable the download links code or provide a file to download.

Hth,

Matt

Actually, Matts right. I hadn't even thought of that.

Archived