• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

log customer ip address?

popstar

I searched the forums to no avail. Has anyone had the need to log customer ip address? I am hesitant to install the ban IP mod, it would be helpful for my site to log a customer's ip address on the order once they complete it. If anyone has ideas or suggestions, please pass them on :D

Ken

Good things happen to good people!

Just out of curiosity, sonce customers IP addresses can change ofen, how would this be helpful to you?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

• 2 weeks later...

You ask how having the IP address would be helpful? One of my clients has been getting suspicious large orders through her osc cart for the past week, some that actually say the customer is in Nigeria, but others coming close to those that are suspected of being fraudulent Nigerian orders as well. Since Nigeria is a land rife with credit card fraud and theft, my client would like to be able to block orders from that country (or really anyplace outside North America, for that matter). We don't want to log the IP address of every visitor, just those who order. It would give her a means of gauging the validity of orders when they came in...if she got a Nigerian one and five minutes later another big order claming to be from Florida, an IP address comparison might show that it came from the same place.

Archived