• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

.htaccess

Sushi

i know you guys have seen the question being pop up a million times...

& i have gone thru all the related ".htaccess" threads that i can find in the search feature.

i am still confused. pls help me.

i use the NotePad to open up the default .htaccess file & this is wat i see:

• # $Id: .htaccess,v 1.3 2003/06/12 10:53:20 hpdl Exp $
    #
    # This is used with Apache WebServers
    #
    # For this to work, you must include the parameter 'Options' to
    # the AllowOverride configuration
    #
    # Example:
    #
    # <Directory "/usr/local/apache/htdocs">
    # AllowOverride Options
    # </Directory>
    #
    # 'All' with also work. (This configuration is in the
    # apache/conf/httpd.conf file)

# The following makes adjustments to the SSL protocol for Internet
    # Explorer browsers

<IfModule mod_setenvif.c>
    <IfDefine SSL>
    SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" \
    nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \
    downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0
    </IfDefine>
    </IfModule>

# Fix certain PHP values
    # (commented out by default to prevent errors occuring on certain
    # servers)

#<IfModule mod_php4.c>
    # php_value session.use_trans_sid 0
    # php_value register_globals 1
    #</IfModule>

& i have no idea wat to change or how to change it.

i desperately need a hand to guild me on this.

pls help.

Bumping your post is against forum rules! - take a pill - this is a user-to-user forum and is used by many people that help out on there own time (ie not paid to help)

Adding replys to your own post basically puts you on the bottom of the help pile. Most active users that help out start at the OLDEST of there "new posts since last login". Many people may even SKIP post that have serveral post on it - thinking some one may have already helped you.

First of all - get a real TEXT editor - Notepad is not very good and adds a blank line (if one does not exist) to every file you save. And does not like files that ONLY use a CR for each line and requires LF CR to be displayed/edited properly.

Use NoteTab (freeware) or one of many great editors like UltraEdit 32.

Second - what did you want .htaccess to do - or What are you trying to do? There is many uses for .htaccess (many unrelated to OSC) as this is an APACHE standard.

If your trying to password protect your admin directory - try Apache's website for a "how to". As well there is may other sites that have this type of "how to".

Hey pal,

May i suggest you learn a bit of netiquette, people on here give you free advice, you get a free shop, all you need is to search through the help files, perhaps you want some one to come to your house and set it up for you too.

Reasearching your questions is the best way to learn, this forum should be the last place to come.

:angry:

Sometimes you're the dog and sometimes the lamp post

[/url]

My Contributions

Hi,

I have been waiting to register in this forum for a while now, but mostly just reading to gather the info I need, but this post really ticked me off! Ok, so I am a newbie in oscommerce, no idea of php, but I still wanna give it a go. I can do a couple of other things though, and I try to help people in other forums as well, even if the question has come up 500 times, so what? Point them to the right thread, and have somebody aboard who can help you another time. But no ...

@sushi: I am new here as well, but I'll probably get kicked out now anyway, but hey, since we are not allowed to ask who cares, since we don't have to logon to read :P Anyway, I am completely with you: no matter on what board, some people better get back to earth, but I think you won't have much luck on this board. Seems like they were never newbies! Bunch of geniuses! If you ever fnd a forum where they acutally treat newbies like half-equals (at least), let me know :D See you around ... maybe ;)

@jpf: Even if you are the moderator or just think you are realllly hot because of your 400 posts, I am really amazed how rude you are, but unfortunately, people like you are really common here on this board. So people bump their posts *naughty*! Screw the rules, they are frustrated, need help and are really confused, because, if you haven't noticed, everybody has to start somewhere and with the available search for this board, it can be really tough. The search is slow, inaccurate and close to the worst forum search I have ever used. Instead of wasting your breath ranting, HELP, and the guy won't have to bump. And who says Notepad is not a Texteditor? The guy wants to use notepad, fine, why not. Telling him there are better progs is nice, but not like that.

@fimble: talk about netiquette! I'm amazed you even know how to spell that word. Played to much scrabble? Oh yeah, not sure if you noticed, but most forums are for members to help members and get help from members ... for FREE!!! If you want money for it, start a consulting firm. Oh I am sorry, I am using a free piece of software, I guess that doesn't give me the right to ask questions? I actually heard of forums where members can help other members, although all these members b-o-u-g-h-t software, for FREE as well! Isn't that a great developer community? Oh, right, community, big word. Look it up, might help your netiquette. Actually, this forum should really be the last place to come, after all the other great help sites and the even greater help files. Might as well start here, don't you think? Like everybody is supposed to know, where to look and what to look for? I guess nobody ever had to tell you anything...amazing!

@fimble and jpf:if questions like the above posted by sushi really tick you off that much, start a newbie forum! And by the way, the forum rules are down most of the time, so where is he supposed to read them? Wanna mail him a copy???

This post is not a joke, I actually joined this forum to learn, ask, contribute and whatever else, but I guess I blew that ...

frog_in_space:

I am sorry if you and other people can't read forum rules. With your language - I would have bumped you off myself. Everyone can voice his or her opinion ? after all this is an open forum.

However it is MY opinion that you and Sushi have not read and understood the rules and MY opinion that the first post by Sushi did not convey enough information to get a correct and proper answer.

I am NOT a moderator here ? but I do moderate other forums and have run or help run several others, both user and commercially run over the past 15 years! 400 posts- not me?. 400 posts is not that much compared to several other people. I have posted close to a thousands or so on a few boards and several 10000 over the last 15 years on BBS/Forums/new/usenets/realychats (a lot maybe dating back before you could talk and walk-) and more.

Search is a powerful thing ? some times too powerful for many people. I can find many answers ? many time was asked/answered several times ? just by searching this forum. I tend to Google most of questions and get many valid answers. Some times you have to search and read to find an answer that is valid.

Yes THEY are having problems with Forum since it was moved to the new SOFTWARE. They are working on it. Have some patents.

NotePad as I said is not very good ? it is a VERY basic editor ? it does not have the FULL functions/compatibility of a REAL and complete TEXT editor. People have posted problems with using it and trying to edit UNIX style files (have you ever herd that MS does not like Unix/Linux?). That is why I SUGGESTED the FREEWARE NoteTab replacement for NotePad.

I don't do this for money. Of all the money I go over the years of HELPING people on forums - I would be broke and starving in the first month or two.

A view from me.

I have been to university to learn, I run my own company, I give up my free time to help others out, this is not the only forum I post in, I also help out in excel, and ASP.

I believe in learning and following the essence of what the net is supposed to be about. free information. I was new once to this also, the only difference was I bought books to learn, I took scripts apart to see what it did to them, years of training and experience has gotten me where I am now, I give a lot of my information away free. I have no doubt that there is a little bit of 'look how clever I am' going on, it is in us all. I do not look down on any one, or think I am better just because I can program. I have learnt things here by viewing the posts and yes, I still get stuck on things. Lets look at it, a free e commerce program then you undoubtedly want to prosper from, and there is even a chap on UK ebay selling this very program for ? 13.99. You get all the free advice you need. It is only a question of putting the question in a structured way, and waiting for a reply. If none arrives post the message again in a week or so. It is not a case of get in here get your answers immediately, go away and start making money.

I also am not a moderator; I am a member like most. As for my spelling, think of it as redundancy, you still understood what I meant!

If you have any questions about the set up of the prog, I will be happy to help you if I can.

Sometimes you're the dog and sometimes the lamp post

[/url]

My Contributions

I am posting this information as it worked for me to password protect a directory on my E-Smith Server. I hope this helps.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Password files:

1. Create the directory you want to password protect (example: private)

2.Create a file /home/e-smith/files/ibays/ibaysname/html/private/.htaccess in that directory that looks something like this using pico:

AuthName "Add your login message here."

AuthType Basic

AuthUserFile /home/e-smith/files/ibays/ibaysname/html/private/.htpasswd

AuthGroupFile /dev/null

<Limit GET POST>

require user name-of-user

</Limit>

*Note: In this case the "name-of-user" is the login name you wish to use for accessing the web site.

3.Create the password file /home/e-smith/files/ibays/ibaysname/html/private/.htpasswd using the program htpasswd:

htpasswd -c .htpasswd name-of-user

Apache configuration file:

Here is where the httpd.conf file is located on YES server: /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf

Default: This disables the processing of .htaccess files for the system.

<Directory />

AllowOverride None

</Directory>

or for a specified directory:

<Directory /home/e-smith/files/ibays/ibaysname/html>

AllowOverride None

</Directory>

Change to and/or specify directory to protect:

<Directory /home/e-smith/files/ibays/ibaysname/html/private>

AllowOverride All

</Directory>

OR