• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Feedback appreciated please....

vee

Hi,

I've developed a couple of stores which are up and running but are essentially simple customisations of the "out-of-the-box" format.

However over the last couple of days I've tried a couple of new stores with the intention of breaking away from the box style and with a "looser" format:

Just wondering if you think this sort of style works and appreciative of any feedback:

http://www.pdf2go.co.uk/bigjugs/catalog/default.php

http://www.pdf2go.co.uk/coffee/catalog/default.php

The code is not really cleaned up yet and some bits are a bit rough but comments welcomed please.

Thanks

vee

(oh and thanks for this nice open source solution :))

Great sites, both of them. Im really impressed.

I think the one with the two cups is nicer, but maybe you could give the boxes headers a creamy coloured background? Similar to the cream on the cups. That would set it off just lovely.

Wow!!

I was impressed. I liked the jugs one best. I loved the way the jug faded behind the table.

I liked the image of the cups but the black text seemed a little stark after the softness of the jugs one.

Tee-hee - I assume you don't know the slang meaning of 'big jugs' in Britain ;)

It means large breasts, as in breasts = jugs of milk!

Yeah Man

They look really good, simple and easy to navigate.

Very inspiring, Instead of commenting on which looks better I just want to

give some ideas. I think that Big Jug design would look great for a wine site.

Can you picture a bottle of your favorite wine in the background?

Tee-hee - I assume you don't know the slang meaning of 'big jugs' in Britain ;)

It means large breasts, as in breasts = jugs of milk!

Thanks for the encouraging comments folks.

Ref. "bigjugs" - we are actually from Derby in the UK so we know what it means (other half can't resist the odd bit of silliness - apologies!) :D

JerseyNB - you read our minds when you thought of the "wine" site; its on our list of things to have a go at together with a few others.

Thanks again,

vee

Ref. "bigjugs" - we are actually from Derby in the UK so we know what it means (other half can't resist the odd bit of silliness - apologies!) :D

Ah - when I saw prices in dollars I assumed you were American ;) I am British also - Blackpool here! One of my old college friends lives in Derby.

I really am impressed with the style you have created here. I like the less is more feel to it.

How do you put the background image up and secondly, how do you make the table info opaque?

Sometimes I think I understand everything, then I regain consciousness

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback.

The background image is put in with css (style applied to the table in default.php).

The effect of the "faded" inner box is created entirely by editing the background image. The area to be "faded" is cut from the original image, pasted to a new layer and the opacity modified as required.

All the info boxes are transparent - they are positioned over the "faded" area by altering the table structure in default.php (and other pages where required).

Hope this makes sense - its kinda tricky to explain :blink:

If you need any help, drop me a mail.

cheers

vee

Hi Vee,

Thanks for the explanation. It kind of makes sense.

The background image is put in with css (style applied to the table in default.php).

Can you give an example of the syntax you'd use in ccs to do this?

Does the code sit somewhere in the BODY {}??

The area to be "faded" is cut from the original image, pasted to a new layer and the opacity modified as required

When you pasted to a new layer, what does the syntax look like for this? and where do you put the code for this? I'm not to ofaye on how to do layers.

Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

Sometimes I think I understand everything, then I regain consciousness

Hi Rob,

If you want to mail me or pop your mail in a PM, I'll post you some code snippets if that would help.

The "new" layer stuff refers to the image used - its not related to the code. The image was prepared in Fireworks using layers and transparency tweaks - nothing fancy. There is no css layering here.

If you want to let me know exactly what you are trying to do I'll see if I can help with some general ideas :)

cheers

vee

Nice looking sites.

On the BigJugs one it might be nice to have full colour images appear when you roll-over the category images.

Mike

Archived