• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

New Photography Store

Hello all,

I have mostly finished my new photography store which changes quite a bit of the osCommerce look/feel/operation. I have chosen a dark (non) color scheme to de-emphasize the pages and enhance the images. I would very much appreciate any feedback on the site.

Here is the url: http://www.chadburkey.com/catalog

Thanks very much in advance,

Chad

I really like the color sheme, it works well with the photographs.

On the home page, all the images appear at the bottom of the page. The new photos sections isn't visible on the page even at 1024 x 768, at 800 x 600 only half of the main photo is showing.

You would have more of a visual impact if you have at least one full photograph visible at the top where it can be seen in any resolution. My first thought was to move the photo to the top left corner and put all the text and the page heading to the right of it. That main photo would pull the page together visually and allow the new photos to be brought into the field of view.

Thanks for the feedback. You hit on the very item I was having trouble trying to make a decision about. Because this isn't the entryway to my site (www.chadburkey.com) I have decided to remove the larger picture all together since there is a big picture on the main page. Does this help to clean up the main catalog page now?

Thanks again for taking a look and sharing your thoughts :)

Chad

Its a great looking site, I think the colours are great for that arty look if you know what I mean. Its a generic look rather than saying 'I am this or that'

maybe im babbling. Not sure at the minute.

The images are lovely, maybe its because im poor. But even at that quality I would never pay that much for a print :S sorry.

Not alot more I can say about the looks to be honest, and most of the functionality like reviews atc have been removed :S maybe you could have the reviews in there??

Cor. lovely....oy yeah. I'm s'posed to be commenting o the site not the piccies!

I think it's a nice site. the only thing is that the light grey main text is a little unreadable against black. I'd make it white meself.

Oh, and great photo's! I don't think they're all that pricey either!

Hey Chad. Coll site. You and I share a common interest. I am trying to get my photography store up and running as well. You look like more of a professional photographer where I am more of a hobbyist.

Here is my site still in very much in the works: http://www.christianadams.com/catalog/

If you are offering higher than a 20x30 does that mean you are shooting with a medium format camera?

You will do well to :

1. Use CenterShop contrib to keep your site width in control

2. Place the GeoTrust logo (at the very last on home page) to absolute center

3. (not sure, yet) use Gzip compression to speed up your site loading

4. Use Yellows, Oranges, etc. to add a bit of contrast to your site ... just black and white isn't too appealing.

Just my 2c.

PP

First of all, thank you all for taking the time to look at and comment on the site. The feedback is very helpful.

In reverse order...

PrettyPink

1. What do you see Center Shop adding to my site? The width of every page (with one expection) is a minimum of 625 pixels and can be as wide as one would like to make it. I guess I'm not following what you refer to as "width in control" but would very much like to.

2. The GeoTrust logo (there are actually two of them) are in the absolute center. Are you using a very narrow resolution by chance? This might explain both of these comments and might indicate that I haven't designed for a smaller screen very well.

3. GZip is enabled. I think that the image-intensive nature of the site doesn't allow it to fair well in speed comparisons with sites offering different products.

4. I understand and appreciate you reaction to the lack of color. I didn't want the site to draw away from the pictures in any way. I'm still gathering feedback on this one. Thanks for yours :)

Misterfeesh,

While I was really hoping to employ that gray text, I think you are right and have updated the color to almost white. It takes a perfectly calibrated monitor to see the true beauty of that light gray on black and I just don't think too many people care about how their monitors are calibrated. Several other people told me the same thing, but yours was the comment that broke me :)

And thanks for the comments on the pictures...it really means alot. You guys are really great.

interbikes,

Your comment perfectly encapuslated what I was trying to achieve with this site. It is just a mechanism to view the pictures and should get in the way as little as possible. Thank you for taking a look.

Thanks again everyone. Please feel free to help yourselves to the free wallpaper available from www.chadburkey.com/wallpaper.html :)

Thanks again,

Chad

Oh geez, how embarassing. I am truly sorry, Christian. I was going to write to you personally, since I bet we have a lot to talk about, most of which would be of little interest to this forum. I looked at your site hoping to see some of your work, but it still looks as though you are in setup phase. Thanks for taking a look and for commenting. I'd really like to see some of your images when you get a chance. Feel free to write me at any time: [email protected].

By the way, you have a great artist's name.

I'm not shooting medium format, just a Nikon D100 and waiting for the D2X to be announced. Fancy enlarging algorithms and a $300,000 LightJet printer (not mine) make the big prints simply amazing.

Chad

Archived