• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Categories description text -- simple method

Yikes

Instead of altering meta tags for the categories, I thought of a SIMPLE way to add category-specific text to each category page. (Yes, I know this can be accomplished through the categories description contrib, too!)

How simple is it?

-I edited only ONE page: catalog/default.php

-And I made only ONE change to the database.

-However, I don't have the php knowledge to write an admin mod -- sorry! Perhaps someone else who knows how could add that to admin/categories.php under the edit-categories action?

Since this is so simple, I hope no one minds my adding it here, instead of as a contrib.

STEP 1:

In default.php, find the <tr> which contains your category heading title and then the category image, and add this new row beneath that row. I have modified my file too much to point to exact code, but it should be just a few lines ABOVE this: <?php include(DIR_WS_MODULES . FILENAME_PRODUCT_LISTING_COL); ?> Add this row INSIDE the table that ends just above the this line and the separator line above it.

>>>>>>ADD THIS TO DEFAULT.PHP<<<<<<<<

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

<!-- this row holds the categories_text description -->

<tr>

<td colspan=2 class="main">

<?php

function tep_get_category_text($category_id) {

global $languages_id;

$category_query = tep_db_query("select categories_text from " . TABLE_CATEGORIES_DESCRIPTION . " where categories_id = '" . $category_id . "' and language_id = '" . $languages_id . "'");

$category = tep_db_fetch_array($category_query);

return $category['categories_text'];

}

echo tep_get_category_text($current_category_id);

?>

</td>

</tr>

<!-- end of categories_text row -->

STEP 2:

Run this query on your database:

ALTER TABLE `categories_description` ADD `categories_text` TEXT DEFAULT NULL ;

ALTER TABLE `categories_description` ADD FULLTEXT (

`categories_text`

);

That's it! This will make the categories_text appear just below the name of your category. As I said, there is no admin mod, so you have to do it all directly through the database right now. I was toying around with an admin mod, but don't know how to add it to admin/categories.php. Anywhere else, the query line would be something like:

UPDATE `categories_description` SET `categories_text` = ' <<add text here >> ' WHERE `categories_id` = ' <<use $current_category_id variable>> ' AND `language_id` = ' <<use $current_language_id variable >> ' LIMIT 1 ;

Well, that's it! I hope someone will find it useful, and maybe we'll see an admin mod someday.

Best,

Yikes!

Archived