• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Moving Servers

deej

I have a client that wants to maintain his domain while I build a site. I am currently developing the cart on a different server until I can move it to the new one where the domain will point. Does anyone know which files, and where I'll have to alter them (including the database) to correct the path to the new site when I am ready to do this? This seem a steep challenge for me and could REALLY use some help...thanks.......

Hi,

Setup the same name database on the other server when you transfer.

Transfer the files and just change each includes/configure.php files in the admin and catalog and you're all set.

Hi,

This does not seem too much of a challenge, however crucial questions :

Do you work under Linux ?

Do you have a dedicated server and can access it as root ?

Do you control the domain name in question, as contact, and is it with a reliable registrar (web interface management etc ?) Are you familiar with domain names and know what Time To Live means ?

I can probably help you make a smooth transition if you answer yes to the first 2 Qs B)

I am using LInux...

I do have access to the root....

I have a good web host with a good control panel....

I don't however know an incredible amount about domains, and no idea what "Time to Live" means......3 out of 5 isn't bad, huh?.....maybe you could still help....

Do you work under Linux ?

Windows with Apache/IIS and few with Linux with Apache...

Do you have a dedicated server and can access it as root ?

Yes, Yes and No with root as Yes, Yes and No (have 3 differnt systems/servers...) If you have a decicated server - you normally have/can get root or root like access. On a SHAIRED server - NO - never - unless you own it...

Do you control the domain name in question, as contact, and is it with a reliable registrar (web interface management etc ?) Are you familiar with domain names and know what Time To Live means ?

No, yes, yes - Never had a problems with any of my registrars.

"Time to Live" is a term that must be used by a registrar or something? It can mean a bunch of things depending on the context it was used with. Please expain context it was used in.

Setup the same name database on the other server when you transfer.

Transfer the files and just change each includes/configure.php files in the admin and catalog and you're all set.

and you can:

copy an osC "catalog/intall/" to the new server,

create a "catalog/includes" directory

and create a "catalog/admin/includes" directory

Run the install script, both configure.php files will be created for you, containing all the information you need. If you compare the configure.php files on the "old" and new server you will see which changes you have to make (very easy, only a few lines of code).

Finally copy your customized shop to the new location using the two editted configure.php files.

Don't know much about MySQL, but if you have "PHP Myadmin" installed on the server, transfering the database is very easy.

Paul

"Time to Live" is a term that must be used by a registrar or something? It can mean a bunch of things depending on the context it was used with. Please expain context it was used in.
In this context, it would refer to the DNS entries time to live, i.e. how long will the DNS values be cached before being considered stale. This is a measure of how long it can take to get the site converted over to the new server, since even after you make the switch, DNS will send people to the old server for a period of time.

The easiest way to fix this is to do something like changing the URL to new.domain.com rather than www.domain.com on the new server. However, to do that, you need total control over the DNS. Then, on the old server, when you are ready to switch, you would set up a redirect from www.domain.com to new.domain.com (in .htaccess or httpd.conf if mod_rewrite is in use). Then you update the entry for www.domain.com in DNS and wait for it to propagate. After about three days, you can switch the new server to www.domain.com and get rid of everything on the old server.

If you can't do this for some reason, another way to keep operating is to run the store on both servers after the switch. When someone creates an account or puts in an order on the old server, port it manually over to the new server. Or just change the old server to a page that says that it is out of operation until (two days after the switch), please try again then (or with a link or meta-refresh to new.domain.com as above). However, if you have sufficient privileges to make the switch seamlessly, it is probably better to do so.

Hth,

Matt

Archived