• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Where does the actual MSQL Db sit?

ilico

Hi,

I installed osCommerce via the compay that does my webhosting under /catalog.

Where exactly does the Mysql Db sit? I have also installed it locally and see that it resides with the mysql/data directory. I am asking as I would like to download a copy of the store to my local machine and then upload it back via FTP, would I need to just download everything unser /catalog?

Thanks

Another question, do most people (the good experienced ones) edit everything locally then upload or just download the parts they want to ed such as default.php etc then upload that file only? Just wondering how most people operate / maintain their store.

Another question, do most people (the good experienced ones) edit everything locally then upload or just download the parts they want to ed such as default.php etc then upload that file only? Just wondering how most people operate / maintain their store.

Well, I edit my files directly on the server, don't download or upload them at all. Although I know some people do. I think it's what works for you.

ilico, you can't upload your database through ftp. You seem to be mixing things up, your osCommerce directory only contains the files, not the information from your MySQL database. Hence, you don't copy or restore your database by simply copying/replacing the files. You should however still backup the files too when you are making significant changes, just in case you mess something up.

You should ask your webhost for PHPmyAdmin access, it is a shell around MySQL (through PHP) and it works wonders. You could also install it on your webspace yourself, that's what I have done. You need your database access information (server, database name, username & password). If you don't know them, they are stored in configure.php in the catalog/includes directory. Once this is done, you can use PHPmyAdmin to change your database as you see fit and you can backup your database (export) or restore it (with the file just created). Don't be afraid to ask your webhost if you can't figure it out, that's what they are there for.

Your second question, I have installed EasyPHP and with it I simulate my real website locally. I really recommend this setup, you are likely to make millions of changes to the original osCommerce code and it will take a lot of hessle and bandwidth if you need to download the file from your webspace, edit it locally and upload again, only to find out it doesn't work and download, change, upload again... Also, once your webshop is live you do not want to 'try something' and notice that your customers are now not able to shop! When working locally you can change and tweak and modify to your heart's desire and when you are sure everything works, upload and enjoy the results.

One final remark: if you go for the local option, realise that you are :D

You won't be the first to drive yourself mad because something is missing, only to find out it is available on your online website but not on your local website! Also make sure that after making changes to the database structure locally, be careful with uploading it to the live database. You don't want to lose order/customer data that was created in the meantime.

Good luck and have fun.

WillemB,

Thanks for a great reply, looking into a number of things you have mentioned. I have figured out the phpmyadmin stuff, so that makes heaps more sense.

Cheers,

ilico

• 2 weeks later...

Helli Ian,

Glad I could be of some help. phpMyAdmin is absolutely brilliant. My first weeks of workig on osCommerce I had no idea it existed either, I used some sort of script I got from a PHP book... EVERYTHING had to go manually :angry:

Once you get things like this covered it's all downhill from there... okay that's not entirely true :D but you'll see! enjoy and good luck.

Helli Ian,

Glad I could be of some help. phpMyAdmin is absolutely brilliant. My first weeks of workig on osCommerce I had no idea it existed either, I used some sort of script I got from a PHP book... EVERYTHING had to go manually :angry:

Once you get things like this covered it's all downhill from there... okay that's not entirely true :D but you'll see! enjoy and good luck.

Archived