• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Newbie Needs to Edit

I am trying to set up a shopping cart using osCommerce. Right now I have the sample shopping cart and I am seeking to edit the contents.

I'm not new to computers, but I am VERY new to configuring PHP.

In the "File Manager" section, when I try to edit any files I get the following message across the top of the window:

" Error: I can not write to this file. Please set the right user permissions"

I have absolutely no clue how to do this. I am using XP Pro and my host/server uses Linux.

I need to be able to edit the appearance of the site as well as the contents.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

check your admin directory mod in your hosting diretory. chmod will tell you the mod.

Generally speacking, you are not allowed to write the file because the files or directorys are "write protected" similar to what you use in windows. "read only" does that sounds a bell?

Whenever I try to edit files using the file manager in OSC I get that also.

I always edit my files directly on the server using the file manager that my host provides. If you have CPanel or something like that, then it is probably best to edit them that way.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to use File manager to edit files the file you want to edit must have the permission set to 666. (CHMOD 666) Or set the files permission (CHMOD) to whatever you set the config.php to when you ran install.

Archived