• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Existing product table

deej

I Have already created a nice looking product layout for a client, and only want the database and checkout functionality of the cart. I am not in need of the "store" part of the script. Can I simply have a user click on a link on my already made site and have it add to the cart and have them either check out or create a link back to my product page like I have it now? I don't know if this is possible, but I would love some insight to see if it is...thanks

This is possible, but you will have to manually add the product links for everything (a real pain for more than just a couple products). Also, you will have to come up with a way to return it to your product page from shopping_cart.php (minor PHP editing that will pull the URL from a database).

For any decent number of products, it would probably be easier to port the design to osCommerce. This can take anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks depending on layout complexity and your knowledge (a skilled osCommerce designer will be able to port in 2 days for almost anything).

Hth,

Matt

Pardon my ingorance, but you mean I'd have to add the product link from my link (on the pre-made site) to the product entered in the database in OSCommmerce, and then link back to the page where the "buyer" started?

Yes, unless you wanted to try to include the application_top.php page in your regular pages (could cause name clashes, etc. with variables/CONSTANTs in your other code). The purchase functionality comes from that file and files that it includes.

Note: the first suggestion assumes that you want the buyer to view the osCommerce shopping cart every time. The second suggestion (the one in this post) would be if you wanted the buyer to stay on the same page and only go to osCommerce to check out. If my responses seem a bit general, it is because I haven't actually done this myself and am reluctant to set out an incomplete list of things to do.

Hth,

Matt

Archived