• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

HELP!!! My databases are gone!!!!!

stephaniezara

Today I had a MAJORLY screwed up problem with my hosting co. Suddenly everything in my website totally disapeared!! NOTHING was left! I dont think it was a hacker or anything cause some of my cpanel options were gone too. Something really screwed up with the server. Anyway the good news is that after telling me it would cost $150 to restore my site from the tape backup I told them it could not have been anything on my end and they did it for nothing. BUT my databases were not restored! I thought that maybe if I created new ones with the same names osc might fill in the data but no go. It was a long shot anyway.

I wrote their tech support about it but who knows when they'll get back to me and they probably cant restore it anyway or they would have done so already.

SO my question is, if I copy my whole catalog directory to my hard drive, THEN install a brandy new installation of osc, THEN upload my original catalog directory overwriting the new one, will everything be back to normal? It seemed like a good idea but now that I propose it, it seems sort of unlikely that it would be so simple. Please advise!!

By the way, totally OT, there is NOTHING freakier than hearing cayoties outside at night!

You need to restore a backup of the database - any decent host should be able to do this for you.

I have always thought it a good idea to have my own backups rather than rely on the host. If you have use the osCommerce backup feature, then you should have a copy of your database data in your backup directory. I back up to my local machine also B)

Thanks for your quick reply!! I do have the option of backing up the databases myself but I JUST finished my store about 2 days ago and I hadn't gotten to it yet! I also had most of my changes to the store made live which I also hadn't backed up yet. ARRGGG great timing, huh??

So you think they'll be able to give me my databases back? That would be good. If they CAN'T will my other plan work, of downloading my catalog directory, etc etc etc?

My understanding is that they have restored your catalog files from backup - I assume the files include the changes made to your store - correct me if I am wrong. Perhaps whoever did work for you made a backup? Check your backup directory for a database dump.

Restoring your catalog files will not restore your database - you can create a new database, but your products and any database customisations will not be there.

Where would I find a backup directory? I don't see one. I dont know anything really about databases and sql and such. It has been hard enough the last two weeks figuring out how to stumble through php!

So if I re-installed the catalog, what database changes would not be there? I'm not sure what exactly is stored in the database. I only had 8 products and no attributes. That would be easy to redo. What I'm worried about are the contribs I added (multi product ordering and PWA).

Also, what about things like the Store info, email addresses, modules...where are they stored. Databases probably, right?

Yes... store info, customer info... store settings etc. are stored in the database. If any of the contributions you installed included database changes, then you would have to re-do these... a bit of work, but at least you have not lost 20,000 products :blink:

Well the contribs took the most time. Adding the rest back in is just time consuming but not impossible. Luckily I think I have my current stylesheet.css whcih also took time to make. At least in case they can't give my database back all is not lost. Thanks for your help!

Archived