• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

"How to Install OSC for Dummies?"

Dino

I wish there were such a thing, 'cus I would qualify.

First big question from a newbie. I've searched the archives quite a bit trying to learn what I can, but I'm confused about the basic use model this program is suppose to run in. I have an ISP with mySQL, php, SSL, and they said they could support a shopping cart program, but this program looks like it assumes your running it on your own server. Is this correct? If so, can I use this program with an ISP (remote servers)?

I'm a webpage/html guy and know nothing about this other stuff...

Dan

getting up and running requires a minimum of fuss...BUT...

you are right, the install instructions do make a few assumptions about your knowledge.

The great majority run on "shared" severs. This is normally disc space on a personal account like ... www.someisp.com/~yoursite/catalog

or www.yoursite.com

A "dedicated" fuctions differntly, however the concept is much the same.

If you have access to a function like "cpanel" you can set up a data base yourself fairly easily. If you have any doubts about this ask your provider to set it up for you. What you will need for install is :

DB name

DB user name

DB user password.

With this in hand use an ftp prgram to upload the files. Please use the latest release and it will be less confuseing.

Point yer browser to :

www.whatever.com/catalog/install

Go with the defaults and see if you can get this dude up.

I'd be happy to help via email (gratis of course) if you get stuck

I have an ISP with mySQL, php, SSL, and they said they could support a shopping cart program, but this program looks like it assumes your running it on your own server. Is this correct? If so, can I use this program with an ISP (remote servers)?

Well that is a good start. Your host may have provided you with a VURITUAL server or "shaired" server. So yes it could LOOK like it is running on it own server. PHP is a SCRIPTING lauguage thus does not know much about the server (or other scripts/programs that are running) unless the server allows it too. You can run just as many "scripts" much like a "Windows" machine can run programs/script/macro/batch files.

can I use this program with an ISP

Hu - Yes. ANY server that is running a web server (like Apache or IIS) and properly installed MySQL and PHP. (Note: PHP should have Safe_mode=off and register_globals=On)

Other than that - any computer that fit the above will work - including a 486 with 16 MB ram though IBM - BIG BLUE's Largest computers in the gigaflops range.

Archived