• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[contribution] Simple Template System (sts)

DiamondSea

hello

i have installed STS 2.01 on our local windows server and its working fine, but its not picking up the the customized templates we are copying to the includes/sts_templates.

We have index.php_0.html for main page and a index.php_26.html for one of our category page, but these two files are not been pixked by STS, its useing the default STS template sts_template.html.

Also we need to have one template layout across all category pages and one template layout for all products pages, how do we do this.

I tried to search the forum but its bringing lots of results.

Could someone please compile a fully updated version of STS? :thumbsup:

It looks like the last full update was "Simple Template System (STS) v2.01" on February 5th 2004. There have been a lot of fixes and updates since then and it is hard to put everything together for a noob.

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,1524

Thanks in advance!

I'm having some difficulties with STS (that I'm not ready to even try to explain yet), and I've run across something I don't understand.

While perusing sts_display_output.php, I see that the following line (181) that has been commented out:

$template['headcontent'] .= '<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="stylesheet.css">' . "\n";

Can someone explain what this line is (was) trying to do?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Mike in Key West

I've just installed STS, and it is a great tool, thank you! This is so easy to use. I'm now trying to add a few things, and am stuck attempting to customize some php code, but after a few days, receive nothing but errors. How do I call a new group of banners? One size is the standard 468x60 in the footer, and that $banner code works perfectly. I am now attempting to call a new banner group with the 120x240 dimension. I tried to copy the footer code and change the name to $bannner (an extra 'n' since anything with $banner automatically calls the longer banner group). This is when I encounter the errors...after attempting to add/copy the existing banner code in footer.php. Is there a solution to this? I even tried to use php in the html, but obviously the sts stripped all of the code except the $banner, so that did not work. Thank you for any assistance.

Hey guys, recently installed sts and trying to accomodate it to my needs.

I changed boxes.php and each box file (categories.php, wats_new.php etc)

in a way so that script puts a different top for each infobox depending on the type of the box.

Here is what I have so far

boxes.php (changes are in red)

class infoBoxHeading extends tableBox {

function infoBoxHeading($contents, $left_corner = true, $right_corner = true, $right_arrow = false) {

$this->table_cellpadding = '0';

if ($box_head == small_side) {

$box_head = tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'infobox/leftBox_lbl_top.gif') ;

} if ($box_head == 'small_mid') {

$box_head = tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'infobox/rightBox_lbl_top.gif') ;

} else {

$box_head = tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'infobox/centBox_lbl_top.gif') ;

}

$info_box_contents = array();

$info_box_contents[] = array(array('params' => 'height="14" class="infoBoxHeading"',

'text' => $left_corner),

array('params' => 'width="100%" height="21" background="<?php echo $box_head; ?>" class="infoBoxHeading"',

'text' => $contents[0]['text']),

array('params' => 'height="14" class="infoBoxHeading" nowrap',

'text' => $right_corner));

$this->tableBox($info_box_contents, true);

}

}

and I put something like

$box_head = small_side;

in categories.php

It doesn't work for some reason

I would appreciate if somebody could point to my error

Just FYI, I'm going to be releasing Simple Template System v3.00 (STS3) shortly that will have some powerful new features, including:

- Inline PHP Coding (yes, you can now run PHP code IN YOUR TEMPLATES !)

- Finer Tag Control (yes, you can make whatever box you want and put the content tag in it)

- Improved Templating Options (multiple templates, switchable by URL options)

- Improved Category Template options (heirarchial categories)

- Improved Speed (streamlining some slow parts people have mentioned)

- "Drag and Drop" Templates - Simply copy a new directory into /sts_templates/ and you've got a new live template on your site)

- ...and I'm calling it STS3 so you can search for it in the forums!

and a bunch of bug fixes (and hopefully few new ones dry.gif ) and assorted other new features that people have been wanting.

I'm hoping to have this up within the week. If there's a particular thing you want addressed, mention it now cool.gif.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

- Brian

Simple Template System (STS)

Layout your site with 1 (or more) HTML file!

Download STS: http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,1524

Support: http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=58541

I'm having some difficulties with STS (that I'm not ready to even try to explain yet), and I've run across something I don't understand.

While perusing sts_display_output.php, I see that the following line (181) that has been commented out:

$template['headcontent'] .= '<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="stylesheet.css">' . "\n";

Can someone explain what this line is (was) trying to do?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

This line was originally there to include the standard osC stylesheet in the template, but it was commented out because it was more flexible to simply put the stylesheet link into the template manually. That way you aren't bound to using the osC one.

- Brian

Brian, STS3 sounds really Great!!!

Thank you for putting all the work into the STS Contribution :thumbsup:

STS3 Sounds really improved and i am soexcited to try it out!

Holding my Thumbs it will be released this week, so that i can integrate it into a site that soon will be launched.

Thanks once again,

Johan / R.E.D

Edited by RED Design

I must agree.

Brian, i think it is a great idea. I was just saying the other day to my partner, that it is too bad that you cant have more than one template and use php code in the STS.

I have used it many, many times, and love it to death. Thanks for making it and keep up the good work. I know I will be using the new one !

:D :thumbsup:

Hey guys, recently installed sts and trying to accomodate it to my needs.

I changed boxes.php and each box file (categories.php, wats_new.php etc)

in a way so that script puts a different top for each infobox depending on the type of the box.

Here is what I have so far

boxes.php (changes are in red)

class infoBoxHeading extends tableBox {

function infoBoxHeading($contents, $left_corner = true, $right_corner = true, $right_arrow = false) {

$this->table_cellpadding = '0';

if ($box_head == small_side) {

$box_head = tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'infobox/leftBox_lbl_top.gif') ;

} if ($box_head == 'small_mid') {

$box_head = tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'infobox/rightBox_lbl_top.gif') ;

} else {

$box_head = tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'infobox/centBox_lbl_top.gif') ;

}

$info_box_contents = array();

$info_box_contents[] = array(array('params' => 'height="14" class="infoBoxHeading"',

'text' => $left_corner),

array('params' => 'width="100%" height="21" background="<?php echo $box_head; ?>" class="infoBoxHeading"',

'text' => $contents[0]['text']),

array('params' => 'height="14"  class="infoBoxHeading" nowrap',

'text' => $right_corner));

$this->tableBox($info_box_contents, true);

}

}

and I put something like

$box_head = small_side;

in categories.php

It doesn't work for some reason

I would appreciate if somebody could point to my error

Hi there, how is it not working for you? are they not pulling into the design? is it coming up blank?

I've not tried out this contribution but it seems to have lots of supporters. Before I tried it out, can any one tell me if this contribution works on the admin panel? Are we able to "manipulate" the layout from admin by clicking buttons here and there? Or, we have to manually edit the files and upload the edited files each time we want to change a layout?

Thanks!

STS doesn't affect anything. You still control your entire site from the admin, but STS helps you easily break free from the standard layout. You can pick any html layout you like, plug in the $commands, and your site is done. It's a mere shell to hold the content, but doe not control your content. It is definitely a designer's friend and worth utilizing if looking for a better layout tool. Look at the DiamondSea.com/sts site to see some of the html sites to get an idea of what it does...

OK please don't hate me but I am asking the dumbest question here, and i am really lost too.

Ok I have fresh install os, new version sts 201 and all is working fine except two things.

1. is the java "click to enlarge" photo but I am getting help with that.

2. Where do I change the text size, color, <b>, etc.

What I mean is my template that I designed I can control those fonts but the output or the displayed os text like the $content that is displayed, and the font for the categories, the info boxes etc how do you change them.

I have been trying to use the .css file that is in the catalog dir but that dioes not work for the output. I have looked everywhere I am so confused? I know I have chanmged font color before but ut has been a while and I think the last site i did had an older version of sts.

So now that you all know I am an idiot hehe please let me have it....

2. Where do I change the text size, color, <b>, etc.

What I mean is my template that I designed I can control those fonts but the output or the displayed os text like the $content that is displayed, and the font for the categories, the info boxes etc how do you change them.

I have been trying to use the .css file that is in the catalog dir but that dioes not work for the output. I have looked everywhere I am so confused? I know I have chanmged font color before but ut has been a while and I think the last site i did had an older version of sts.

There may be more effecient ways to do this, but the easiest way I've found is to open and look at the source code when you check your main index page in the browser. Search and find the text area you want to change, look at the class="whatever name here" css id, then open your stylesheet.css file and then change the style accordingly. (ie .infoBoxContents controls the inside boxes). Not detailed, but hopefully that gets you started...

i would like to see it be able to be used with the multiple images contribution (the unlimited one).

i currently use this contribution and i can't get it to work with STS if i use the product_info template. i just have the default template on the product info page i can see it.

i would like to see it be able to be used with the multiple images contribution (the unlimited one).

i currently use this contribution and i can't get it to work with STS if i use the product_info template. i just have the default template on the product info page i can see it.

Hello,

I could not find that contribution, but one I recommend is Dynamic MoPics.

All you do is specify one image and then upload other photos to specific folders and then it will automatically post your pictures for the product. I have not tested it using sts, but have it uploaded on one site that has sts installed. I will be testing it soon when I start uploading photos and updating my products. I think it will work though and I highly recommend getting it (unless someone else knows for sure it will not work).

There may be more effecient ways to do this, but the easiest way I've found is to open and look at the source code when you check your main index page in the browser.? Search and find the text area you want to change, look at the class="whatever name here" css id, then open your stylesheet.css file and then change the style accordingly.? (ie .infoBoxContents controls the inside boxes).? Not detailed, but hopefully that gets you started...

I tried changing things like you said but no changes made to the .css change my font colors size etc. Now I use a full template and the font in the template is controlled by the tags in it or if I have a stylsheet in the termplate, but aLL output by the .css in os commerce does nothing to the text that is outputted by sts????

I would assume that there was a way to do this simply that is what this sts was designed for right? Why can't you just put like <font color="#FFFFFF">$content</font> or can't you go into a file and set the font like the .css?

Now I just thought of something? Do I need to add the .css code in the original oscommerce to my sts_template.html page at the top so it reads it???

I need help please :sweating: :sweating: :sweating: :sweating: :sweating:

Edited by webmaker

Whatever changes are made in product_info.php you will need to duplicate in /includes/sts_product_info.php and assign the HTML generated by the code to a template variable (such as $template['moreimages'] or $template['image2'] or however you choose to implement it.

Then just use the variables you created ($moreimages, $image2, etc) in your template where you want it to appear.

- Brian

Hello,

I could not find that contribution, but one I recommend is Dynamic MoPics.

All you do is specify one image and then upload other photos to specific folders and then it will automatically post your pictures for the product.  I have not tested it using sts, but have it uploaded on one site that has sts installed.  I will be testing it soon when I start uploading photos and updating my products.  I think it will work though and I highly recommend getting it (unless someone else knows for sure it will not work).

STS should generally have the code to include the default oscommerce .CSS file, unless you are completely redefining every single tag. If you want your own custom styles, either modify the original osC CSS file, or include your own definitions after the osC CSS file has been included.

- Brian

I tried changing things like you said but no changes made to the .css change my font colors size etc. Now I use a full template and the font in the template is controlled by the tags in it or if I have a stylsheet in the termplate, but aLL output by the .css in os commerce does nothing to the text that is outputted by sts????

I would assume that there was a way to do this simply that is what this sts was designed for right? Why can't you just put like <font color="#FFFFFF">$content</font> or can't you go into a file and set the font  like the .css?

Now I just thought of something? Do I need to add the .css code in the original oscommerce to my sts_template.html page at the top so it reads it???

I need help please :sweating:  :sweating:  :sweating:  :sweating:  :sweating:

Any news regaring STS 3 Brian!? I am so much looking forward it and Me and my staff are on 24/7 stand by to quickly install it :P

Take care and thanks for all your effort!!

Johan

Just FYI, I'm going to be releasing Simple Template System v3.00 (STS3) shortly that will have some powerful new features, including:

- Inline PHP Coding (yes, you can now run PHP code IN YOUR TEMPLATES !)

- Finer Tag Control (yes, you can make whatever box you want and put the content tag in it)

- Improved Templating Options (multiple templates, switchable by URL options)

- Improved Category Template options (heirarchial categories)

- Improved Speed (streamlining some slow parts people have mentioned)

- "Drag and Drop" Templates - Simply copy a new directory into /sts_templates/ and you've got a new live template on your site)

- ...and I'm calling it STS3 so you can search for it in the forums!

and a bunch of bug fixes (and hopefully few new ones dry.gif ) and assorted other new features that people have been wanting.

I'm hoping to have this up within the week. If there's a particular thing you want addressed, mention it now cool.gif.

Cheers!  :thumbsup:

- Brian

Any news regaring STS 3 Brian!? I am so much looking forward it and Me and my staff are on 24/7 stand by to quickly install it :P

I'm trying to put in a few bug fixes from past versions and duplicating the old product_info.php look and feel in the default template.

You want me to put up a beta release to play with in the meantime? :-)

Also, if you're on the mailing list I'll be sending out when the official version come out.

- Brian

That would be really cool if you could put up a beta version.  Thanks

Okay, I put up a beta release for you to start playing with here:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,1524

This version moves all the templates files into a new directory structure which you can then switch in code by changing the STS_TEMPLATE_DIR to another directory, the default ("osc") template files have been changed to match the default site look in the product_info templates, and a product_info_debugging template has been added just for the heck of it.

The osc Javascript has been moved to /includes/sts_templates/{TEMPLATE}/sts_osc_javascript.js so you can just include that as opposed to pasting stuff into your templates manually.

Live PHP code now works in the template (just ignore the fact that they are still called with .html extensions).

The category and product_info templating abilities has been improved to allow for heirarchial category templates (if there isn't a template for the current category, it will check to see if there is a template for the parent categories) and products (you can define a product_info template that will be applied to all items in particular categories.

Don't have the finer detail level stuff done yet for making the boxes better, and recommend no longer using the $url_* and $urlcat_* tags, but making direct links (see changelog), and templates not yet switchable dynamically.

Let me know if you run into any problems with it.

CHANGELOG.txt:

v3.00

ADD: Dynamic templating abilities with Inline PHP Code in template files

CHG: Change template structure so all templates are encapsulated within their own directory under /includes/sts_templates/{TEMPLATE}

ADD: New DEFINE in configure.php STS_TEMPLATE_DIR to control the directory to take the template from

ADD: Ability to completely turn off STS processing with $no_sts=1 in /includes/application_top.php or as parameter ?no_sts=1

CHG: Move stock osC javascript functions to external file in /includes/sts_templates/{TEMPLATE}/sts_osc_javascript.js

CHG: Only looks up $url_* and $urlcat_* variables if present in the template file

CHG: Recommend not using $url_* and $urlcat_* variables. Recommend instead just using a direct link to the category with an $sid (ie: /index.php?cPath=10&$sid)

ADD: variable $sysmsgs to contain various osCommerce system error messages (ie: bad perms on configuration.php, etc)

ADD: Category and sub-category-based templates. (ie: if cPath=3_10, it will use the first template found of: index.php_3_10.html, index.php_10.html, index.php_3.html, index.php.html and sts_template.html) This allows per-category templates, as well as sub-category templates (categories below the templated one)

ADD: Per-Product and Product-Category-based templates (ie: if cPath=3_10 and ProductID=12, it will use the first template found of: product_info.php_12.html, product_info.php_c3_10.html, product_info.php_c10.html, product_info.php_c3.html, product_info.php.html, sts_template.html). Note that the Per-Product templates for each category and subcategory have a "c" in front of them to distinguish them from the productID-based templates.

ADD: $regularpricestrike variable for product_info.php.html which contains "<s>$regularprice</s>" if a specialprice is set

ADD: Setting debugging info will show the template files being checked for and the one selected

README.txt:

The readme file has not yet been updated to reflect 3.00 changes

Have fun!

- Brian Gallagher

Also note that the ZIP file now contains subdirectories, so extract it with the appropriate options if needed to preserve the directory structure.