• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[contribution] Simple Template System (sts)

DiamondSea

OK, I almost have my site looking close to what I want it to look like and I have noticed a few problems. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

1. When using STS I am not seeing the correct titles in my browser's tabs ( firefox for instance).

For instance, when STS is off and I go to view a product, my titles are auto generated. So for this product "Decaffeinated Chocolate Hazelnut Ground" it will display this in the browser tab bar: "Decaffeinated Chocolate Hazelnut Ground by: Shalina - Gourmet Soiree -"

With STS off it displays Gourmet Soiree no matter what page I am viewing. No dynamic titles?

Q. Do I need go back and make all of the same changes that I have made for other contributions in some special STS pages or something. Why is STS not showing the titles correctly? Where does it pull the information for Products, Categories, etc. if not from Product_info.php, Index.php, etc. ?

2. I am pretty sure this is associated with the first one. I have installed other contribs, category_descriptions_v502, additional_infov1.2, Manufacturers_Popup_2.5, to name a few. These show up in the default store when STS is set to false.

When STS is set to true they are nowhere to be found.

Q. Where can I edit what information gets passed to the $content tag if it is not using the product_info.php in catalog/ ?

3. Q. How can you include content where you want it without using an info box. The example in sts_user_code.php is for an info box and I am not sure how to not include something without it being in an info box.

I really love the way you can control each and every page of your site with out going through a lot of hard coding. For instance - I have set it up so that when someone views a product, our logo that is found on our home page and the category pages, is removed and replaced with a smaller text name. This way the product that they are wanting to look at is right at the top of the page. This is awesome. I just need to figure out how to do the above few things and I think all will be good.

If there are answers to these questions already, I would be very happy for someone to just leave a link to the solution. I have searched and searched and have not found what I am looking for. I am sure I am just not searching for the right combination of keywords but I have run out of ideas.

Thanks,

Gary

1. When using STS I am not seeing the correct titles in my browser's tabs ( firefox for instance).

For instance, when STS is off and I go to view a product, my titles are auto generated. So for this product "Decaffeinated Chocolate Hazelnut Ground" it will display this in the browser tab bar: "Decaffeinated Chocolate Hazelnut Ground by: Shalina - Gourmet Soiree -"

With STS off it displays Gourmet Soiree no matter what page I am viewing. No dynamic titles?

Q. Do I need go back and make all of the same changes that I have made for other contributions in some special STS pages or something. Why is STS not showing the titles correctly? Where does it pull the information for Products, Categories, etc. if not from Product_info.php, Index.php, etc. ?

Thanks,

Gary

Hi Gary,

First things first...

Do you have the following in your templates?

<html $htmlparams>

<head>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Language" content="en-us">

<!--$headcontent-->

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="stylesheet.css">

</head>

NOTE: Do not put <title>...</title> tags in your header in your template page. It will be added

as part of the $headcontent variable that is picked up from the PHP script that you are templating.

Check the above first for your first question and then let us know the results.

Hope this helped,

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

2. I am pretty sure this is associated with the first one. I have installed other contribs, category_descriptions_v502, additional_infov1.2, Manufacturers_Popup_2.5, to name a few. These show up in the default store when STS is set to false.

When STS is set to true they are nowhere to be found.

Q. Where can I edit what information gets passed to the $content tag if it is not using the product_info.php in catalog/ ?

Thanks,

Gary

Manufacturers_Popup_2.5 needs a STS tag created much like the ones in sts_column_left.php since the contribution uses an infobox to display its information. If you do not create this tag, it will not show when STS is turned on.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

Hi there, I was looking at the file (product_info.php_26.html) and wondering how this is going to work if I want to use a module for extra images, because I want to have a minimum 4 images per product.

Many thanks!

Jessica, check the STS4 Power Pack site. It has the instructions listed for one of the image contributions in use with STS on the product page. Link is in my signature.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Jessica, check the STS4 Power Pack site. It has the instructions listed for one of the image contributions in use with STS on the product page. Link is in my signature.

Hi, I am sorry but I can't really find an information how to display extra images under the main one. Sorry probably is me, I am not very good at it.

All I want is to display as few extra images for the product on the product info page, I don't really want to use the pop up script for enlargement, I will use some nice javascript like onMouseOver or something like here: http://www.withloverubyblue.com/product_in...products_id/139

have a look this page and you will see what I mean by showing more images. can I do that with STS? and if yes, HOW? which page and code?

Many thanks for your help?

Hi Gary,

First things first...

<html $htmlparams>

<head>

<!--$headcontent-->

</head>

NOTE: Do not put <title>...</title> tags in your header in your template page. It will be added

as part of the $headcontent variable that is picked up from the PHP script that you are templating.

Hope this helped,

Bill,

Thanks for replying. The only thing that was missing from the template was <meta http-equiv="Content-Language" content="en-us"> which did not effect anything as far as I could see after I inserted it.

Any other ideas?

Gary

Manufacturers_Popup_2.5 needs a STS tag created much like the ones in sts_column_left.php since the contribution uses an infobox to display its information. If you do not create this tag, it will not show when STS is turned on.

By a tag, do you mean something like $myaccountlogoff or $productdesc ?

Let me give you a screen shot of what I am talking about.

With STS on:

STS_template.gif

With STS enabled=false:

Templates_off.gif

I have circled the three things I am asking about for reference. The kind of pinkish purple areas refer to the 1st question of the title. The green area is inserted from the database with code I entered for the Additional Info and Category descriptions contrib. The blue area is something that I hacked out of the code that gets added to Manufacturer's Information Box from the Manufacturers_Popup contrib.

If I am understanding you correctly, I can make a tag that will call my custom made infobox (the blue area) and I can place it wherever I want it in the tables in my product_info.php.html template. What about the information that is not contained inside an infobox (like the green area)? The same principal applies I assume. Where does the $productdesc tag get it's information? From what page, form or whatever, what is it's name and what folder is it in? I think I can figure out how to do this if I knew how the files were tied together and where to find an example. I will have a look around a little more, I think I am beginning to understand this a little more.

I think that I can create separate files for each of the contribs that I have added and place them somewhere (not sure about that yet) and then create the tags in the sts_column_left.php file so that when I place the tag in my template it will know what to do with it. Am I headed in the right direction?

If someone could help me with the title (1st ?) question I think I might be able to figure the rest out. We will see.

Hopefully the pictures help.

Thank you so very much for your time and much needed help!

Gary

Hi, I am sorry but I can't really find an information how to display extra images under the main one. Sorry probably is me, I am not very good at it.

All I want is to display as few extra images for the product on the product info page, I don't really want to use the pop up script for enlargement, I will use some nice javascript like onMouseOver or something like here: http://www.withloverubyblue.com/product_in...products_id/139

have a look this page and you will see what I mean by showing more images. can I do that with STS? and if yes, HOW? which page and code?

Many thanks for your help?

Have you given any thought to the Ultra Pics contribution. If so, Iggy came up with the code to get STS and Ultra Pics to work nicely together:

Just in case anyone out there is using Ultrapics here's some code that works for /includes/modules/sts_inc/popup_image.php.

<?php
// Ultrapics mods
 $products_query = tep_db_query("select pd.products_name, p.products_image, p.products_image_lrg, p.products_image_xl_1, p.products_image_xl_2, p.products_image_xl_3, p.products_image_xl_4, p.products_image_xl_5, p.products_image_xl_6 from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " p left join " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " pd on p.products_id = pd.products_id where p.products_status = '1' and p.products_id = '" . (int)$_GET['pID'] . "' and pd.language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'");
 $products = tep_db_fetch_array($products_query);
 $sts->template['productname'] = $products['products_name'];
 $sts->template['productmodel'] =  $products['products_model'];

if ($_GET['image'] ==0) {
 $sts->template['popupimage'] = tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $products['products_image_lrg'],'','','', 'name="prodimage"');
 } elseif ($_GET['image'] ==1) {
 $sts->template['popupimage'] = tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $products['products_image_xl_1'],'','','', 'name="prodimage"');
 } elseif ($_GET['image'] ==2) {
 $sts->template['popupimage'] = tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $products['products_image_xl_2'],'','','', 'name="prodimage"');
 } elseif ($_GET['image'] ==3) {
 $sts->template['popupimage'] = tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $products['products_image_xl_3'],'','','', 'name="prodimage"');
 } elseif ($_GET['image'] ==4) {
 $sts->template['popupimage'] = tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $products['products_image_xl_4'],'','','', 'name="prodimage"');
 } elseif ($_GET['image'] ==5) {
 $sts->template['popupimage'] = tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $products['products_image_xl_5'],'','','', 'name="prodimage"');
 } elseif ($_GET['image'] ==6) {
 $sts->template['popupimage'] = tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $products['products_image_xl_6'],'','','', 'name="prodimage"');
 } elseif ($_GET['image'] ==7) {
 $sts->template['popupimage'] = tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $products['products_image'],'','','', 'name="prodimage"');
 } ?>

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

No popup window ("Click to Enlarge" link) in STS

STS version 4.4/OSC version 2.2

When I click on a product in the shop, I see the "Click to Enlarge" link.

Before I click, I see no errors in IE6.

When I click, I see the error sign (yellow triangle wit exlamation mark) and nothing happens (no popup window). Error: object is expected.

If I copy the link and trim off the javascript stuff, paste it back into the address bar in IE6, then I DO get a big product picture, so the link is correct.

When I turn off STS, I DO get a popup window when I click the "Click to Enlarge" link

I have no popup blockers installed or anything

Firefox tells me "popupWindow is not defined"

*) Does this mean it's lacking the _parent, _blank etc thinge in the Href tag?

*) If so, how do I change this in the STS template?

I have searched the forum and somebody suggested that I put <!--$headcontent--> in the header, but it was already there, in all the pages

*) Does anyone have suggestions for me?

Bill, this is a GREAT contrib. If you have a link for a donation (via PayPal), please do send it over to me.

I have a few questions - I spent some time searching the forums, but had trouble finding what I am looking for.

I have a couple of questions:

#1 - Checkout Pages

Is there a list of "tokens" for use with Checkout Pages? From what I'm reading, in order to change the look/feel/display of the checkout pages, I need to make individual pages in STS for each corresponding checkout page.

If that assumption is correct - then are there any placeholders already set up for the checkout pages?

#2 - Category Listings

What I'd like to do, on my homepage, is to have my categories show up as category image, with name below it - in a 3-column layout. I'd like for this to be dynamic, as there will be categories added and removed.

Can you give any direction on how this would be done? I already have the index.html.php page - I'm just missing how to set up the layout of the category list (no subcategories) with image and text link (below image) in columns.

Any assistance or direction you could give would be great.

Thanks

Jane

Hello Jane,

Answer #1: You are correct in that you can make a specific template per each page in the checkout process. All the tags are available to you except for those exclusively for the infoboxes and product content templates. If you need more tags, you will have to create your own or hope someone who has already done this will post them on the STS 4 Power Pack site as a contribution. :thumbsup:

Answer #2: As far as I know, you can not do what you are wanting with STS alone; you will need an additional contribution or two to make that happen. Do a search for the contribution that you need by using the following string in Google:

site:http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions "what you want"

Hope this was of some help to you.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Hello everyone...

I will not be available for support for a few days since my best friend, my shepherd Yogi, just passed away. I had him for 14 years and it is really hard to take. :(

I don't want anyone thinking that I am ignoring their posts for support. Hopefully someone will be able to help out with your posts.

Please do not misunderstand why I posted this. I do realize I am not the only one who helps in this forum (thank God!). :lol:

Edited by bkellum

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Hello everyone...

I will not be available for support for a few days since my best friend, my shepherd Yogi, just passed away. I had him for 14 years and it is really hard to take. :(

I don't want anyone thinking that I am ignoring their posts for support. Hopefully someone will be able to help out with your posts.

Please do not misunderstand why I posted this. I do realize I am not the only one who helps in this forum (thank God!). :lol:

I am really very sorry to hear about that Bill. I am very sure you will miss him for some time to come. Try to remember the good times you had with him as much as possible. We will be fine, take your time and grieve. There are many here that understand.

Gary

Hello everyone...

I am so sorry to hear this. My thoughts are with you and Yogi's family and friends at this time of loss.

Hi Gary,

First things first...

<html $htmlparams>

<head>

<!--$headcontent-->

</head>

Hope this helped,

I found the solution. I probably should have thought to look in the support thread for cDynamic Meta Tags (duh!). :-"

If you are having trouble with cDynamic Meta Tags working with STS have a look here: http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?s=&...st&p=932549

This is where you will find a fix for it.

Thanks Bill and sorry if I wasted your time.

Gary

Edited by gmltw

Hi Bill,

I figured out what I needed to do (I think) to take care of Question #3 (circled in blue in a previous post). Thought I would share what I did in case I did something wrong or in case someone else might be having the same problem or question as to how to do this. I believe this will work for my second question as well but I am not sure yet. If it doesn't I will post back to show what I did to fix it as well. To all concerned, understand that you must already have Manufacturers_Popup_2.5 installed for this particular mod to work because all this is doing is placing a modified infobox below my product description that has a link for customers to click on that will activate a pop up with more information about the Manufacturer (and in my case shipping and returns info as well). Although I believe you could change the code to work with anything you wanted to make a custom tag for. Just make the php file have the code you want included and change the names to what you want.

First, in catalog/includes/modules/sts_inc/product_info.php I added the following code after the last line of code:

$sts->start_capture();
 include(DIR_WS_BOXES . 'view_more_info.php');
 $sts->stop_capture('viewmoreinfo', 'box'); // Get manufacturer info box (empty if no product selected)
  $template_pinfo['viewmoreinfo']= $sts->template['viewmoreinfo']; // Put it in the product info

Then I created a php file with the following code:

<?php
/*
 $Id: view_more_info.php,v 1.11 2007/03/20 16:00:00 $

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions
 http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright (c) 2007 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License

*/
//Start March 07-2007 Gary Morris Modification for link to show manufacturers info in a pop-up window.
		<?php
			if (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'])) {
			$manufacturer_query = tep_db_query("select m.manufacturers_id, mi.manufacturers_url from " . TABLE_MANUFACTURERS . " m left join " . TABLE_MANUFACTURERS_INFO . " mi on (m.manufacturers_id = mi.manufacturers_id and mi.languages_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'), " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " p  where p.products_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'] . "' and p.manufacturers_id = m.manufacturers_id");
			if (tep_db_num_rows($manufacturer_query)) {
			  $manufacturer = tep_db_fetch_array($manufacturer_query);

$manufacturer_info_string = '<center>';
			  if (tep_not_null($manufacturer['manufacturers_id'])) $manufacturer_info_string .= '<a href="java script:popupWindow(\'' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_POPUP_MANUFACTURER_INFO, 'products_id=' . $products_id) . '\')">' . TEXT_MANUFACTURER_INFO_SHIPPING_LINK . '</a> </td> </tr>';
		'';
			  $info_box_contents = array();
			  $info_box_contents[] = array('text' => $manufacturer_info_string);

new infoBox($info_box_contents);
			  '</center>';
			}
		  }
//End March 07-2007 Gary Morris Modification for link to show manufacturers info in a pop-up window.
?>

in it and placed it in catalog/includes/boxes/view_more_info.php

Then I inserted the tag $viewmoreinfo$ (where I wanted it) in my product_info.php.html template found at catalog/includes/sts_templates/MY_CUSTOM_TEMPLATES/content/product_info.php.html (where MY_CUSTOM_TEMPLATE is the name of my template).

Can anyone verify that this is OK and that I am not going to have any problems later down the line?

Thanks,

Gary

No popup window ("Click to Enlarge" link) in STS

STS version 4.4/OSC version 2.2

When I click on a product in the shop, I see the "Click to Enlarge" link.

Before I click, I see no errors in IE6.

When I click, I see the error sign (yellow triangle wit exlamation mark) and nothing happens (no popup window). Error: object is expected.

If I copy the link and trim off the javascript stuff, paste it back into the address bar in IE6, then I DO get a big product picture, so the link is correct.

When I turn off STS, I DO get a popup window when I click the "Click to Enlarge" link

I have no popup blockers installed or anything

Firefox tells me "popupWindow is not defined"

*) Does this mean it's lacking the _parent, _blank etc thinge in the Href tag?

*) If so, how do I change this in the STS template?

I have searched the forum and somebody suggested that I put <!--$headcontent--> in the header, but it was already there, in all the pages

*) Does anyone have suggestions for me?

Look in the header of the generated page, where the popup is not working, do you have any javascript in it?

Try the page in debug mode (add sts_debug=debug in the URL), scroll down the page until you find the content of $sts->template['applicationtop2header']:

there should be the following code in it:

<!-- start get_javascript(applicationtop2header) //-->
<script language="javascript"><!--
function popupWindow(url) {
 window.open(url,'popupWindow','toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status=no,menubar=no,scrollbars=no,res
izable=yes,copyhistory=no,width=100,height=100,screenX=150,screenY=150,top=150,le
ft=150')
}
//--></script>

This same code should also be in $sts->template['headcontent']

Check and tell us the results.

- Rigadin2

Hi! I can't get STS 4.4 to work with Header Tags Controller v2.5.5. Earlier, when using STS 3 Beta 2, it worked just fine. I have not modified HTC in some way and the STS templates contains the <!--$headcontent-->

Look in the header of the generated page, where the popup is not working, do you have any javascript in it?

This is what I have in my popup page

var i=0;
function resize() {
 if (navigator.appName == 'Netscape') i=40;
 if (document.images[0]) window.resizeTo(document.images[0].width +30, document.images[0].height+60-i);
 self.focus();
}
//--></script>

Doesn't look at all like the stuff you posted

Try the page in debug mode (add sts_debug=debug in the URL), scroll down the page until you find the content of $sts->template['applicationtop2header']:

there should be the following code in it:

<!-- start get_javascript(applicationtop2header) //-->
function popupWindow(url) {
 window.open(url,'popupWindow','toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status=no,menubar=no,scrollbars=no,res
izable=yes,copyhistory=no,width=100,height=100,screenX=150,screenY=150,top=150,le
ft=150')
}
//--></script>

This same code should also be in $sts->template['headcontent']

Check and tell us the results.

- Rigadin2

Haven't done the debug thingie yet (will do that later today), but <!--$headcontent--> is commented out in sts_template.html, which is the standard setting.

*) Could that be the problem?

And what do you mean: "This same code should also be in $sts->template['headcontent']"

*) In what PHP file can I find the contents of "$headcontent"?

Thanks for responding.

This is what I have in my popup page

<script language="javascript"></script>

Doesn't look at all like the stuff you posted

Robert, I don't know if it was a typo on your part but the first line should not have the
<

in it. Change it as so:

Haven't done the debug thingie yet (will do that later today), but is commented out in sts_template.html, which is the standard setting.
You should run the STS debug command.
  • For one, it is very easy to do
  • And for another it will give you valuable troubleshooting information regarding what is actually going on behind the scene.

And what do you mean: "This same code should also be in $sts->template['headcontent']"

*) In what PHP file can I find the contents of "$headcontent"?

Thanks for responding.

What Rigadin is sugggesting is that you first run the debug command and then check at the very bottom of your page the information that the debug routine will display. In this information, find the data listed for the 'headcontent' and then post it here for the good folks in this forum to try to troubleshoot for you.

**TIP**

To see the debug output of whateverpage.php, write the URL www.yourshop.com/whateverpage.php?sts_debug=debug in your browser address window.

Edited by bkellum

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Hi! I can't get STS 4.4 to work with Header Tags Controller v2.5.5. Earlier, when using STS 3 Beta 2, it worked just fine. I have not modified HTC in some way and the STS templates contains the
Fred, have you tried the instructions that are posted on the STS4 Power Pack site on how to get HTC to work with STS version 4 and above? (link in my signature)

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

I still cant figure out how to remove these sections.... I cant find them in any of the code mabye some one can helpe me because its really annoying i have highlighted the spaces im trying to remove..

Demetre, send me your sts template page that includes the template that you displayed and I will give it a look. My guess is that you have some extra table row that just needs to be removed.

<tr></tr>

This could either be in your infobox template or in your page template (index.php.html or whatever you are using for your default template).

You will find my email address in my osCommerce profile page (you can either use the 'members' link above or just simply click on my screenname to the left and select 'view member profile' from the drop down arrow.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Robert, I don't know if it was a typo on your part but the first line should not have the
<script language="javascript"><!--var i=0;
function resize() {
 if (document.images[0]) window.resizeTo(document.images[0].width +30, document.images[0].height+60-i);
 self.focus();
}
//--></script>

Dunno what happened.

The first time, I pasted it into the codebox, saw that it wasn't what I wanted, pasted the correct text and it still came out screwy

What Rigadin is sugggesting is that you first run the debug command and then check at the very bottom of your page the information that the debug routine will display. In this information, find the data listed for the 'headcontent' and then post it here for the good folks in this forum to try to troubleshoot for you.

I get this in my debug info (this is all it gave me):

1062 - Duplicate entry 'df8c58b35dd8bb7948184d4ebcbde45c' for key 1

insert into sessions values ('df8c58b35dd8bb7948184d4ebcbde45csts_debug=debug', '1174749022', 'cart|O:12:\"shoppingcart\":4:{s:8:\"contents\";a:0:{}s:5:\"total\";i:0;s:6:\"weight\";i:0;s:12:\"content_type\";b:0;}language|s:5:\"dutch\";languages_id|s:1:\"5\";currency|s:3:\"EUR\";navigation|O:17:\"navigationhistory\":2:{s:4:\"path\";a:0:{}s:8:\"snapshot\";a:0:{}}')

[TEP STOP]

Does this give you more info? For me it's Chinese, although I do understand that it tells me that the language is "Dutch" and

that the currency is "Euro"

I can't find any data listed for 'headcontent'

So I guess something IS amiss. But. then I already knew that

I fugure that the culprit is: Duplicate entry '<Chinese> for key 1

But how to fix it?

<

in it. Change it as so:

Every time I paste it into the codebox it ends up wrong in the page (3 times already).

I guess that the forum software interprets something of the code as its own native lingo.

It should have been something like:

< script language="javascript"><!--

var i=0;

function resize() {

self.focus();

}

//--></script>

I have added a space in the first sode sentence, between < and script

So it finally ends up on the page

Edited by wotsupdoc