• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Credit Card questions

Irata0062

Not sure what section to put this in.

Basically, I did some searches but have not found what I was looking for. Currently, I use 2Checkout but they have a policy of having to mark an order shipped within X number of days or the hold will not be on the funds.

That's fine for in stock items but I really want to ba able to accept orders for merchandise that is coming out in the next month or two. Do I need to get a merchant account through authorize.net to have this kind of control and capabilities?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Seth

yes, you would need a merchant account.

but even then, auth holds are still only valid for 30 days, and it is illegal to capture the funds before 24 hours before shipping.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

and even then it really depends on the customer's bank. Some bank holds fall of in a couple of weeks and released back to the customer if it is not captured. Others use the full 30 days. Knowing this, some merchant providers may have a requirement to release holds that are not captured within a certain period of time. Regardless of your merchant account, you should know about the 30 day period since for your situation, you would need to do an auth/hold. You can't do an auth/capture since a savvy customer would notice a premature capture and dispute the charge within days if the product is not yet shipped. Then you'll be up the creek with fees and crap from your merchant provider. Like wizards said, it is illegal to capture the funds and not ship them out within 24 hours.

the card can still be charged, but then you'll need to know exactly when the funds are available to the customer to do a rebilling, since they may not have enough in the account to authorize the amount again twice(remember, the amount may not be available back to the customer just yet). For obvious reasons, this would a pain in the A$$.

Archived