• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Selling Unique Items...keeping people from buying the same

Jared Waites

I sell unique items, therefore there is only 1 item in stock. I'm trying to be able to make sure that customers, can't both pick the same thing.

I would've assumed that when customerA checks out, it would make the stock of that product 0, so customerB would not be able to checkout.

But if you goto admin, then stock then you can turn off "allow checkout", but this can only be done once the order has gone through. I'd prefer it to happen like this...any idea's or snippets available?

Two people add the same product to their basket. CustomerA checks out first and completes the transaction. CustomerB checks out but somewhere along the process, he gets the notice of "not available or not in stock" (i see this option is available on the basket page if someone orders more than what's in stock).

- Jared

NOTE EDITED: Please read the Forum FAQs and do not crosspost. One msg is sufficient. All duplicates have been removed. Thanks, Linda

You could add a flag to the product for products_sold_pending ... and when a product gets added to the cart that flag gets set.

Later, have a process that checks the time it has been sitting there ... and if still set it removes it.

Meanwhile if the products_sold_pending flag is tripped it displays as Pending sales ... or something to let the 2nd customer know that it "might" be sold.

Or, make another database and make a que for customers who want to stand in line for a product.

There are a number of ways to really do this. You need to decide what is the ideal scenario for your products to determin which way this should be written.

You could add a flag to the product for products_sold_pending ... and when a product gets added to the cart that flag gets set.  

Later, have a process that checks the time it has been sitting there ... and if still set it removes it.  

Meanwhile if the products_sold_pending flag is tripped it displays as Pending sales ... or something to let the 2nd customer know that it "might" be sold.

I love this idea, now finding someone to help me code it, is another story. Say if it sits for 15 min in a cart, it gets redisplayed as available?

So I maybe should incorporate this idea, into my other idea, as in the AVAILABLE and NOT AVAILABLE idea that you deleted :wink:

So I guess I need to figure out how this will be coded, or get someone to help me or something...

- Jared

Linda, that crosspost wasn't the same question, although they do tie into together.

- Jared

ok, I'll admit, they are kind of the same, I'm just confused by it :)

Sorta kinda in a duplicate sorta way looked the same to me Jared <grin>

But let's keep the idea here in one thread so that people don't get lost finding it ... and to make it a bit better ... I am going to move this over to General as it's not really an install issue. :wink:

Jared ... bumping the posts is really rather frowned upon on the lists ...

Sometime you have to wait until someone responds. If you have more information to add ... then continue to do so in the same thread. But don't bump the msgs it really is against the forum rules ... :wink:

If you wish to find a developer to assist you with the coding you can make a post in the Seeking Commercial Help forum (you have to be logged in).

From there you will receive rates and quotes from developers via PM or eMail (however you specify) to provide a solution.

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - A. Einstein

Archived