• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Brand new member-Please Help

Voland

Please explain to me how osCommerce works, on a practical level. I have not yet downloaded it. I have browsed and read through the website and I have seen some live shops. The fact that they all look different tells me that I am not limited by a certain template as far as visual design, like on some other e-commerce platforms. Is that correct? Then how do I implement osCommerce? In other words I already have client-side ready. Will osCommerce provide me with backend database-driven functionality? Do I have to have experience with PHP and MySql at all to take advantage of osCommerce?

Any answer or explanation will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

People dont change, people realize.

You willo not need HTML or PHP experience in order to impliment or use OSCommerce. It offer a DB driven backend, and a pretty robust admin section.

You will however, need to be rather proficient in PHP/HTML in order to alter the 'basic templete' of OSC above making CSS changes.

Not sure what you mean by 'already hava a client-side'. If you mean that you already have your product pages created, and you just wish to use the OSC cart, then you will need to know quite a bit of PHP in order to take the portions that you need from it and add it to your current pages.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Hello,

I have just downloaded and installed OSCommerce (and went live with it last night) and have found it fairly easy to use.

OSCommerce is basically PHP scripts, and to implement you must have PHP and mySql on your server. A UNIX-ish box is best. Who is your provider??

You can configure the screens to look any way you want, or leave them alone, it's very versatile and the stock setup works just fine. The only mod I would say that you HAVE to implement is one to protect the ADMIN screen.

Installation of mod's is not too difficult, it seems there is a GREAT community of knowledgeable people posting mods, but in some cases some programming knowledge is required (I can assist if you need help).

I am running 15,400+/- products with a mod'd store...and all I can say is...MIVA is junk compared to this!!

My store is www.mikespcscomputer.com Take a look and see what you think.

Mike Forter

Owner

Mike's P.C.'s

[email protected]

OK i understand. What I meant by client-side was the HTML part. I do not know PHP or MySql. And I am looking to have backend functionality implemented within an alredy exixting HTML. ex: Search function, having pruducts dinamicaly retreaved from the DB and displayed on a webpage and so on. BUt you answered my question. I guess i can have all the backend stuff with osC, and if i want to keep my own tempalte ill have to know some PHP. :)

Thank you for the info.

SIte looks nice... good pices too ;). I can see that you have the tamplate i have seen in the sample Demo shop.

Well I dont have a host yet. I am in the research process right now. I have been using Yahoo! Stores for some business and Tripod to store and reference multimedia. Thank you again for offering your help. However I have somewhat blunt question When I do know PHP and MySql well enough to program my own backend why would i need to use something like osC? I mean what are the addvenatages of a preprogrammed platfirm liek this VS coding your own sulution to address your need precisely?

Well the advantage for me is that I don't have to spend my time writting, testing, debugging, testing, debugging, testing, debugging, testing, debugging like I did with Miva or like I would with anything else...

Also, most of the bugs have either been identified and fixed by the community, I can ask for help (rather than banging my head on the wall) and get mod's quickly and easily....

There's advantages to both, but for me, I can run my store, see my kids and wife, and enjoy some sunlight!

Mike

Voland,

You are exactly right. With a little practice, it's not *too* difficult to take an existing HTML templete, and incorporate it into and OSC shop. It is not as easy to break apart OSC and take just the functionality you need and incorporate them into your html templete.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Voland,

I have been using Website Source since January of this year.

I have found them to be economical, helpful, and all around good to great to work with.

www.websitesource.com

(No I am not affiliated with them)

Mike Forter

Thanks Wizard.

Yes Mike! I guess you are right. However, one last question. When you say mod's you mean moduals.. right? Im not too familiar with the programming lingo :). Give me one or two examples of what kind of ready modules one gets here that otherwise would be rather difficult to code? Im asking not to be a pain in teh neck, I just dont have a clear idea of what module is exactly in terms of programming.

Thanks again

Arkady

By mod's, I mean modifications. Most of the users of this web site (those who know what they are doing hopefully) will make modifications and post them to to contributions site. Modifications such as payment gateway's, templates, languages, reports, and many many more.

When you download the zip or tar file they have (usually :D ) an install.txt file, you move certain files up to your site, or do the modifications manually (if you have previous mod's that stand in the way), and when you're done....you either have a mod'd (modified) shop or a crash! :cry:

So, when I speak of mod's, I mean modifications....

Mike

Ok Mike. I get it. Thank you.. Now i have a rather good idea. You ve been a great help. I will keep you as a contact with your permition. Hopefully I myself will be able to instruct others in the future.

Arkady

However I have somewhat blunt question When I do know PHP and MySql well enough to program my own backend why would i need to use something like osC? I mean what are the addvenatages of a preprogrammed platfirm liek this VS coding your own sulution to address your need precisely?

Well, I have a very basic knowledge of php. By basic I mean I can look at a piece of code, figure out what it does and make some basic changes to make it do what I want it to do. I have just picked it up as I went along. But no way in hell could I ever build something like this. I wouldn't even know where to begin. So to make a few changes you only need a very basic knowledge of php. The more extensive the chnages you make, the more knowledge you will need, obviously.

But as others have said, this has been extensively used and debugged and discussed and there are lots of people here to help you, or who have the same problems as you. And you can work together and figure out a solution, rather than trying to muddle through on your own.

And also because starting with OSC give you a couple of thousand hours of a head start on the programming. I'm a professional programmer, and I write code every single day.

It would probably take me over a year on a full time basic t oprogram anyth8ign even remotly close to the functionality the OSC offers.

Yes Julie I deffinatly agree. The question you quoted was basicaly to stress the topic to get strong answers (like yours was ;) ) what do you know im a part time psycoanalist (just kidding :) ). Even though I was hessitant at first I do take the same possition as you and others, about open-sourse. Thank you for your cooment. :)

Ok.. i do see the light at the end fo the tunel now. Basicaly I will learn, contribute and benefit at the same time. Thets the sence I get after reading your replies. :)

Well, Oscommerce is great. Not only has it saved me a LOT of money on buyng a cart that would do anywhere near what it does, it has also taught me a lot of useful stuff about programming, which I had no idea about before.

Also I don't think I would have found a cart which did all the tiny little things I wanted it to do, and, although the stock installation of osc doesn't either, it is so easy to alter tiny little bits.

Like normally, if a customer wants to buy something, they have to create an account. The culmination of the create account process takes them to a page called create_account_success and then they have to manually go back through the checkout process. More clicks=more customers lost. I changed it so that, if they have items in their basket, they are automatically taken back to the checkout page. Result: more sales!

So I am a big fan.

Yeah indeed.. yuoa re absolutely right! When I get to addressing that problem, in addititon to your solution i will try to give costumers the choice of skiping the whole registration procedure at once, if they wanna go streight to check out wthout becoming a member. Unless of course this is alredy implemented within osC; I didint see it in teh sample Demo however :) .

Archived