• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

A strange occurrence ? footer squashed into right column

lech

Hello,

Something just came to my notice when the very first product was purchased from the site.

The bestsellers box came promptly into place boosting the first item bought to be the best seller. However, and I believe as a consequence, the footer of the page has migrated to the bottom of the right column.

Now that in it self might not be so strange, but I noticed that if I accessed the catalog directly (.../catalog/) this problem does not occur.

You see, I have a .htaccess file in the root folder with the following?

DirectoryIndex /catalog/index.php

? to direct a visitor straight to the catalog (which I probably should have installed in the root folder to make things easier, but too late now!)

Also when accessing the catalog through the root, all the links in the site have an added string of letters. For example the link to catalog/contact_us.php when the site is accessed through the root is catalog/contact_us.php?osCsid=aae9ed7e731400ea5b08b7af12061d0c.

What is this ?osCsid=aae9ed7e731400ea5b08b7af12061d0c business and why does it only come up when I access the site through the root.

But the main problem is with the footer being squashed into the bottom of the right column.

I would really appreciate help.

Thanks

Lech

You see, I have a .htaccess file in the root folder with the following?

DirectoryIndex /catalog/index.php

? to direct a visitor straight to the catalog (which I probably should have installed in the root folder to make things easier, but too late now!

I'm sorry I can't help with the main problems... but I wanted to tell you that it is not too late...

Just move the files to the root and change the configure.php files in both catalog and admin to the new path...

Angela

Thanks for your quick replies.

I don't think there are any appropriate solutions in the bug report ? I tried the one with the change in the .htaccess file, but no luck - so I?ll try moving files down a step in the tree, i.e. moving to the root.

Thanks for that suggestion. I was hoping it was still possible but thought that their might be problems with the database (stupid thought) or something, but if its as simple as changing values in the config file then that?s what I?ll try.

Thanks again,

Lech

[/i][/b]

I had similar problems, and had to pressure my hosting company to upgrade PHP from 4.2.2 to 4.3.2. When they did, all display problems cleared up.

GEOTEX from Houston, TX

(George)

• 4 weeks later...

I have been idling away with respect to the site over the last month, but I have moved the catalog to the route (as advised possible). I thought this would solve the problem, as I thought it had something to do with the modified .htaccess file that made /catalog/index.php the directory index of the root. I thought it had worked too, before I fixed the links to the stylesheet.

Anyway, this is the situation:

If you access any page of the site the first time, you get the footer squashed in the right column.

If you refresh the page or click to go anywhere on the site, everything is okay and remains okay from then on!

Therefore, it only happens when the site is accessed for the first time in each browser session.

The peculiarity of the strange links (with the &osCsid=5b36626109487a4ae7f5e96b08c7f22e bits after cPath=**) can definitely be linked to the squashed footer, since the two occurrences only happen together.

My server has PHP version 4.2.3. I have contacted the host regarding an upgrade and they replied:

?We keep upgrading our servers with the latest stable ver of softwares ,but i am afraid at the moment we dont have any idea when we will be upgrading this.?

I guess I just have to wait until they upgrade and hope that this will fix the problem.

Thanks to everybody for taking the time to help me.

Lech

I have a similar problem. My footer is missing altogether on first catalog page load. It appears on refresh or when any other page is loaded. This site is on PHP version 4.1.6 or something like that, but the problem doesn't occur with exactly the same files on a PHP 4.3.2 server.

Having read this thread, I've deleted my .htaccess file and so far, the footer is showing consistently on the older PHP.

Regards,

Patrick

Exact same thing happened to me.

Thought it did the trick, but when I tried it today, the problem was back.

Is there another way of fixing this, except getting the host to upgrade PHP?

Archived