• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How to track traffic from Adwords/Overture?

cgchris99

I know have Adwords and Overture PPC ads.

I have modified my store to track if a user creates and account or orders from one of these clicks.

But how do I know how much traffic is coming from the ads?

Is there a contribution to track which ad it's coming from and how many clicks?

Thanks for any info

There ia also a contribution call, ironically enough, the "Ad Tracker"

I'd recommend that you browse through each and every single contribution so that you can become more familiare with functionality that is out there.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

While I wouldnt necessarily be using oscommerce if I wasnt an advocate of open-source, I use a commercial product conversionanalyst.com (no affiliation other then customer) for tracking results of add campaigns. First and formost, it provides more information then I could possible ask for. On a number of occasions we have saved money by very directly targeting our advertising:

It has saved my company a good chuck of money (and from a bad reputation) when we found out one of the companies doing seo/roi stuff was using popups and consequently all the hits were leaving almost immediatly.

Recently we had a single word on overture that was using between 1/2 and 2/3 of our funds. Though I discovered this through the overture interface, I could/would have seen it (and checked for similar occurances on google), had I looked at conversion analysist first that morning.

It provides everything from an overview of campaigns to the path of individual users, sortable by a bunch of criteria

It allows for a bunch of other stuff...I can see for instance what searchs traffic is coming from, what pages people are coming in on, get notified in the event of site errors, etc. A lot of the stuff one could manually hack, some of it relatively easily even, but this to my company was a more econic solution.

I cannot attest to how difficult it is to integrate into oscommerce, as I inherited the (coldfusion...uggh) sites that we are using it for from a previos employee. Additionally I dont know how difficult it was to set up and the like...all I see is the results, but those I like.

Incedentally I am sure there are any number of commercial products which serve a similar end, so if your interested google around.

www.yourshop.com/default.php?overture

www.yourshop.com/default.php?adwords

Then:

grep -i '?overture' transfer-log > overture.txt

&

grep -i '?adwords' transfer-log > adwords.txt

You'll need shell to do it, and some hosts don't give it.

If you have something like "webalizer" you could also use that (I think) to find out more info (see the "referrers" link).

hth

Archived