• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Intermittent missing footer

Patrick Taylor

I've noticed the footer goes missing occasionally. I haven't modified the footer file. To attempt to fix it I've altered my html_output file from:

$link = str_replace('?', '/', $link);

$link = str_replace('&', '/', $link);

$link = str_replace('=', '/', $link);

to:

$link = str_replace('?', '?', $link);

$link = str_replace('&', '&', $link);

$link = str_replace('=', '=', $link);

Has anyone else come across this?

Regards,

Patrick

Still a problem. The footer is often missing when I first open the catalog. Viewing the source shows that there is code missing below the new products table. There is no date/counter/footer. I've tried putting in my own bottom table, bypassing footer.php altogether but this makes no difference. Is this a bug that anyone else has noticed? Refreshing the page clears the error.

Regards,

Patrick

Since no-one else seems to have reported this issue, to help me resolve whether this missing footer problem is just mine and is maybe related to my ISP or my own PC (rather than my site's files), would anyone please spend a minute and go to http://www.art-by-post.com/catalog (under construction) and check if the footer is there or not and post here or pm me to let me know? Otherwise I'm contemplating a reinstall, maybe on a different server.

Many thanks and regards,

Patrick

Hello Patrick,

I had a similar problem where when the home page loaded the right info box would load the shopping cart one and then sort of stop. In the end I was missing a right hand box of two and the footer. I reported it to my ISP and they said it was my programming. I then installed a fresh copy of osc ( no mod's) and had the same problem.

Bottom line ---- It went on for weeks and the ISP emailed me saying they were not going to host me anymore because I keep complaining "basically". I moved to addaction.com and have never had that problem again.

Sorry I can't tell you what the problem is, but you are not alone.

After a week of trying to fix this, my footer still goes missing! I've completely uninstalled the whole of my osCommerce shop, database included, and reinstalled from scratch. Testing out the default shop anew, the problem was there from the start, so it's unlikely to be any customization I've done. The symptom can best be described as follows:

As the catalog index page loads, I'm watching the Windows vertical scrollbar on the right. It goes to a certain height immediately on page load, and in the status bar I can see that the new product images are downloading into their nested table. Occasionally, when they've downloaded, the vertical scrollbar adjusts itself as the footer finally loads, but more than often than not, the footer fails to load, and in VIEW SOURCE I can see this final code right at the bottom:

... Disciples: Sacred Lands</a><br>$90.00</td>

</tr>

</table>

</td>

</tr>

</table>

The code for the bottom of the page, including the footer, has failed to appear. The final code relates to the last loaded product info. Now if I refresh the page, the footer miraculously appears. Incidentally, I have also tried uncommenting that line in catalog/.htaccess. Makes no difference.

Since no-one else has reported this problem I assume it only applies to me. I would very much welcome any pointers as to what the cause might be. Could it be my server? My ISP? Or what? I've spoken to my hosting provider and they've agreed to recompile Apache and PHP. I'm hoping this will fix it once they've done it, but if it doesn't, I'm totally stuck for ideas on this. I've sent in a bug report because that's what it seems to me.

Regards,

Patrick

Archived