• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How do I change my index page text?

Every time I try to change my index page text, I get the following error message:

Parse error: parse error in /home/ronisbar/public_html/cart/includes/languages/english/index.php on line 13

It then shows only "TEXT_MAIN" and nothing else. How do I fix this problem? I am very new at php and am probably making a dumb mistake.

Can you post the section of your index.php that has the define statement for TEXT_MAIN. Parse errors are usually just a mistake in the syntax e.g. a misplaced '. Did you use any apostrophes in the text you changed? You need to add a before any '.

Below is what is there as default, before I change the text.

define('TEXT_MAIN', 'This is a default setup of the osCommerce project, products shown are for demonstrational purposes, <b>any products purchased will not be delivered nor will the customer be billed</b>. Any information seen on these products is to be treated as fictional.<br><br><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="5" cellpadding="2"><tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/1.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Error Messages</b><br><br>If there are any error or warning messages shown above, please correct them first before proceeding.<br><br>Error messages are displayed at the very top of the page with a complete <span class="messageStackError">background</span> color.<br><br>Several checks are performed to ensure a healthy setup of your online store - these checks can be disabled by editing the appropriate parameters at the bottom of the includes/application_top.php file.</td></tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/2.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Editing Page Texts</b><br><br>The text shown here can be modified in the following file, on each language basis:<br><br><nobr class="messageStackSuccess">[path to catalog]/includes/languages/' . $language . '/' . FILENAME_DEFAULT . '</nobr><br><br>That file can be edited manually, or via the Administration Tool with the <nobr class="messageStackSuccess">Languages->' . ucfirst($language) . '->Define</nobr> or <nobr class="messageStackSuccess">Tools->File Manager</nobr> modules.<br><br>The text is set in the following manner:<br><br><nobr>define('TEXT_MAIN', '<span class="messageStackSuccess">This is a default setup of the osCommerce project...</span>');</nobr><br><br>The text highlighted in green may be modified - it is important to keep the define() of the TEXT_MAIN keyword. To remove the text for TEXT_MAIN completely, the following example is used where only two single quote characters exist:<br><br><nobr>define('TEXT_MAIN', '');</nobr><br><br>More information concerning the PHP define() function can be read <a href="http://www.php.net/define" target="_blank"><u>here</u></a>.</td></tr><tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/3.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Securing The Administration Tool</b><br><br>It is important to secure the Administration Tool as there is currently no security implementation available.</td></tr><tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/4.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Online Documentation</b><br><br>Online documentation can be read at the <a href="http://wiki.oscommerce.com" target="_blank"><u>osCommerce Wiki Documentation Effort</u></a> site.<br><br>Community support is available at the <a href="http://www.oscommerce.com/forums" target="_blank"><u>osCommerce Community Support Forums</u></a> site.</td></tr></table><br>If you wish to download the solution powering this shop, or if you wish to contribute to the osCommerce project, please visit the <a href="http://www.oscommerce.com" target="_blank"><u>support site of osCommerce</u></a>. This shop is running on osCommerce version <font color="#f0000"><b>' . PROJECT_VERSION . '</b></font>.');

If I change any one word on that I get that error. Then, if I try and put it back to original, It continues to show the error. Thanks for looking.

as a test delete everything between the quotes

like this

define('TEXT_MAIN', ' delete everything here ');

It should display empty at this point. If not the problem lies elswhere.

If it does, insert something simple like

define('TEXT_MAIN', 'This is a test');

If that displays okay, then it is probably a mistake with any php syntax you may be using

It didn't work. Just seems to drop the error down to another line. Still displays the "TEXT_MAIN" Phrase instead of the actual text defined to it.

then your problem lies elsewhere than what is in the define.

my next step would be to try a "known to be good"

/includes/english/index.php

If the OEM displays properly. Repeat the same steps.

You may want to download a good text editor. Notepad is fine for small corrections and small mods but for editing larger files get one that shows you the line number your on. This helped me considerably when I first started putting my store together.

Hi Guys,

The same think is happening to my site www.discountknives.co.uk

After the first time it happened I reinstalled catalog/includes/languages/english/index.php

it all worked fine. Then I altered one letter in the text after 'TEXT_MAIN', to test it and guess what i got?

"Parse error: parse error in /home/d/i/discountknivesuk/public_html/catalog/includes/languages/english/index.php on line 13"

All I did was deleet the letter "T" from the first world "This"

here is the code:

Please can somebody help me with this?

here is the code:

<?php

/*

$Id: index.php,v 1.1 2003/06/11 17:38:00 hpdl Exp $

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions

http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright © 2003 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License

*/

define('TEXT_MAIN', 'his is a default setup of the osCommerce project, products shown are for demonstrational purposes, <b>any products purchased will not be delivered nor will the customer be billed</b>. Any information seen on these products is to be treated as fictional.<br><br><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="5" cellpadding="2"><tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/1.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Error Messages</b><br><br>If there are any error or warning messages shown above, please correct them first before proceeding.<br><br>Error messages are displayed at the very top of the page with a complete <span class="messageStackError">background</span> color.<br><br>Several checks are performed to ensure a healthy setup of your online store - these checks can be disabled by editing the appropriate parameters at the bottom of the includes/application_top.php file.</td></tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/2.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Editing Page Texts</b><br><br>The text shown here can be modified in the following file, on each language basis:<br><br><nobr class="messageStackSuccess">[path to catalog]/includes/languages/' . $language . '/' . FILENAME_DEFAULT . '</nobr><br><br>That file can be edited manually, or via the Administration Tool with the <nobr class="messageStackSuccess">Languages->' . ucfirst($language) . '->Define</nobr> or <nobr class="messageStackSuccess">Tools->File Manager</nobr> modules.<br><br>The text is set in the following manner:<br><br><nobr>define('TEXT_MAIN', '<span class="messageStackSuccess">This is a default setup of the osCommerce project...</span>');</nobr><br><br>The text highlighted in green may be modified - it is important to keep the define() of the TEXT_MAIN keyword. To remove the text for TEXT_MAIN completely, the following example is used where only two single quote characters exist:<br><br><nobr>define('TEXT_MAIN', '');</nobr><br><br>More information concerning the PHP define() function can be read <a href="http://www.php.net/define" target="_blank"><u>here</u></a>.</td></tr><tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/3.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Securing The Administration Tool</b><br><br>It is important to secure the Administration Tool as there is currently no security implementation available.</td></tr><tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/4.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Online Documentation</b><br><br>Online documentation can be read at the <a href="http://wiki.oscommerce.com" target="_blank"><u>osCommerce Wiki Documentation Effort</u></a> site.<br><br>Community support is available at the <a href="http://www.oscommerce.com/forums" target="_blank"><u>osCommerce Community Support Forums</u></a> site.</td></tr></table><br>If you wish to download the solution powering this shop, or if you wish to contribute to the osCommerce project, please visit the <a href="http://www.oscommerce.com" target="_blank"><u>support site of osCommerce</u></a>. This shop is running on osCommerce version <font color="#f0000"><b>' . PROJECT_VERSION . '</b></font>.');

define('TABLE_HEADING_NEW_PRODUCTS', 'New Products For %s');

define('TABLE_HEADING_UPCOMING_PRODUCTS', 'Upcoming Products');

define('TABLE_HEADING_DATE_EXPECTED', 'Date Expected');

if ( ($category_depth == 'products') || (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'])) ) {

define('HEADING_TITLE', 'Let's See What We Have Here');

define('TABLE_HEADING_IMAGE', '');

define('TABLE_HEADING_MODEL', 'Model');

define('TABLE_HEADING_PRODUCTS', 'Product Name');

define('TABLE_HEADING_MANUFACTURER', 'Manufacturer');

define('TABLE_HEADING_QUANTITY', 'Quantity');

define('TABLE_HEADING_PRICE', 'Price');

define('TABLE_HEADING_WEIGHT', 'Weight');

define('TABLE_HEADING_BUY_NOW', 'Buy Now');

define('TEXT_NO_PRODUCTS', 'There are no products to list in this category.');

define('TEXT_NO_PRODUCTS2', 'There is no product available from this manufacturer.');

define('TEXT_NUMBER_OF_PRODUCTS', 'Number of Products: ');

define('TEXT_SHOW', '<b>Show:</b>');

define('TEXT_BUY', 'Buy 1 '');

define('TEXT_NOW', '' now');

define('TEXT_ALL_CATEGORIES', 'All Categories');

define('TEXT_ALL_MANUFACTURERS', 'All Manufacturers');

} elseif ($category_depth == 'top') {

define('HEADING_TITLE', 'What's New Here?');

} elseif ($category_depth == 'nested') {

define('HEADING_TITLE', 'Categories');

}

?>

Best Wishes

Martin

That's obviously not all you did:

Wrong:

Correct:

There are other instances you'll need to find as well.

<?php

/*

$Id: index.php,v 1.1 2003/06/11 17:38:00 hpdl Exp $

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions

http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright © 2003 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License

*/

define('TABLE_HEADING_NEW_PRODUCTS', 'New Products For %s');

define('TABLE_HEADING_UPCOMING_PRODUCTS', 'Upcoming Products');

define('TABLE_HEADING_DATE_EXPECTED', 'Date Expected');

if ( ($category_depth == 'products') || (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'])) ) {

define('TABLE_HEADING_IMAGE', '');

define('TABLE_HEADING_MODEL', 'Model');

define('TABLE_HEADING_PRODUCTS', 'Product Name');

define('TABLE_HEADING_MANUFACTURER', 'Manufacturer');

define('TABLE_HEADING_QUANTITY', 'Quantity');

define('TABLE_HEADING_PRICE', 'Price');

define('TABLE_HEADING_WEIGHT', 'Weight');

define('TABLE_HEADING_BUY_NOW', 'Buy Now');

define('TEXT_NO_PRODUCTS', 'There are no products to list in this category.');

define('TEXT_NO_PRODUCTS2', 'There is no product available from this manufacturer.');

define('TEXT_NUMBER_OF_PRODUCTS', 'Number of Products: ');

define('TEXT_SHOW', '<b>Show:</b>');

define('TEXT_BUY', 'Buy 1 '');

define('TEXT_NOW', '' now');

define('TEXT_ALL_CATEGORIES', 'All Categories');

define('TEXT_ALL_MANUFACTURERS', 'All Manufacturers');

} elseif ($category_depth == 'top') {

define('HEADING_TITLE', 'What's New Here?');

} elseif ($category_depth == 'nested') {

define('HEADING_TITLE', 'Categories');

}

?>

I think you are missing

define('TEXT_MAIN', '');

Remember, if you want to get rid of the text, delete what's inside the '', but leave the rest of the line alone.

Hth,

Matt

Archived