• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

State/Province Drop down Request

:x Frustrated me.

I've noticed that when the "state" account field is activated, and a user fills out the form with a misspelling in the state (i.e. Pencilvania) or uses the standard two-digit code (i.e. PA), the page loads again with an error, and requires the user to select the state/province from a drop down menu.

Is there anyway to enable this drop down menu by default, to eliminate mistakes? I've been tinkering with the PHP code, but I keep screwing it up.

What do I need to edit to make the state/province field ALWAYS be a drop-down menu?

But to display a list of states you need to know the country. Would you like to present user with a list of all states of each country (zones TABLE). STOP. If most customers are from for example UK, you can do something like that (requires some php coding)

State: [ .input type text.]

Dear customer. If you are from UK, please choose your county below:

UK county: [ a list with UK counties]

And, of course, are you sure that you need state/province/county/district info? Maybe you could just get rid of this box.

Regards,

Piotr

Is there then a way to have the country selected, causing the page to reload with an updated list of states for that country?

For example...

The "state" field is not visible.

User selects "United States of America"

The page instantly reloads, and below "country" appears a list of U.S. states.

The only places I'm taking orders for is U.S./Canada

Archived