• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Assigning a weight to a product attribute.

Antonimous

I am using 2.2 Milestone 1 and would like to know if there is a way to assign a weight to a product attribute for shipping calculation purposes. Currently I have to list the same product 5 different times with their associated weights. Egads! It is time consuming and looks confusing.

This to me seems like something that should be "standard" with any online commerce package.

Good things take time..... Great things happen all at once!

• 1 month later...

Yes I have exactly the same problem...

I sell products by weight, these I have as product options, set in product attributes.

Surely there is a way to pass the weight to shipping ???

We can pass the extra price to the cart, so how would we pass the weight to shipping ??

Any clues ???

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I think I have found the solution to your problem. Unfortunately if you have already configured your cart from the original install, which most of us have by the time we find out about this weight/size problem, you will have to do a lot of updating to fix your site. I have tried to update my site but the instructions were difficult to follow and I was unsuccessful. The Shoppe Enhancement Controller v2.2 a contribution by Linda McGrath appears to carry the weight with the product attribute. Check out the demos at http://www.webmakerscorner.com look for the link to the SEC v2.2 and then click on the "products/attributes" link in the catagories, then look for "price factor" as the description. I hope these instructions are accurate.

HTH,

Monte

Like everyone else, I needed this functionality for my shop's products so I wrote a contribution:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,1622

It was actually a very simple modification, only 3 files are involved. Please read through the notes section as there are some hidden configuration variables you may want to change (SHIPPING_BOX_WEIGHT, SHIPPING_BOX_PADDING)

Hello Kumar,

I will check out your contrib., I noticed in the description of the contrib. it mentions the price as (+2.00), does your contrib eliminate the + - pricing situation. Will your contrib show the total price before moving on to the shopping cart? Without the +- stuff?

Thanks,

Monte

Archived