• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Help put through the paces before going live

nebnq

Hi,

I'm just finishing off a site (got to add more products, tidy up some images etc) and would like to invite you to test it out and give me some feedback. The site isn't heavily moded, it's been designed to blend with the parent site, but with enough differences so that surfers know when they are in the information section or the shopping section. Consideration has been made in keeping it as cross browser friendly as possible.

The owner has a liking for using Netscape 4.X BC :roll:

Cheers and Thanks

www.norstate.net/catalogue

Mostly I really like it. I like that you have a big picture of the premises - I might nick that idea. I like the scrolling cart info along the bottom. I also like the Norstate gas bar down the RH side.

A few things:

Not keen on the bright turquoise colour on the infoboxes. Perhaps the blue of the "Norstate Gas" in the logo might be better - or something in between.

Don't like the use of words "Seek now" on your search box - seems an unwieldy turn of phrase.

You have the standard buttons eg "Add to cart". I would change them for something more in keeping with your colour scheme and your nav bar.

Replace the standard cartoons on your shipping, priovacy and conditions pages.

Put company name, address, telephone number and email on your 'contact us' page. This is law in some countries, don't know about Aus though.

But mostly - it's great!

it look strange because of left alignment. I would center it. The backgorund color of table headers should be IMHO the same as in logo. As there is no right side bar, I would add right rounded corner to product listing or remove the left one.

Piotr

Hi, thanks for taking the time and giving me some feedback, all comments have been taken on board. Some were on the to do list when I'm next in that area, some I missed, and some are at the mercy of the man who pays the bills ;)

Cheers, thanks again everyone

You should remove the Language and Currencies info boxes since customers can not switch to another language or currency.

You can find it in the includescolumn_left.php

• 2 weeks later...

I like it, I think 2 columns look better than 3 - less crowded.

I don't like the scrolling shopping cart at the bottom, tends to distract the eye away from the products, I would prefer it to be static if at all.

Also think the buttons need changing to match the menu buttons at the top.

Otherwise good job!

can I ask how you got 2 columns to work instead of the 3?

Hi

I found this code in the pages that displayed the right column.

<!-- right_navigation //-->

<?php require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'column_right.php'); ?>

<!-- right_navigation_eof //-->

and commented this section out

<td width="<?php echo BOX_WIDTH; ?>" valign="top"><table border="0" width="<?php echo BOX_WIDTH; ?>" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2">

<?php require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'column_right.php'); ?>

</table></td>

like this

<!-- body_text_eof //-->

<!-- This is the modification I did 6 months ago to remove the right column from this page-->

<!-- <td width="<?php echo BOX_WIDTH; ?>" valign="top"><table border="0" width="<?php echo BOX_WIDTH; ?>" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2">-->

<!--<?php require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'column_right.php'); ?>-->

<!-- </table></td> -->

Remember to use a close comment tag otherwise it might comment out the rest of the code.

Doing it this way makes it easier to undo if you have problems.

It's a good idea to put comments in where you make changes so that you can remember what you did 6 months ago.

I think it is anyway.... I can't remember :D :D

Cheers

Nice loooking site - just wondering why you don't centre it on the screen, does make the RH side of a big screen look rather empty.

It may be me but I think that you have a space between the T & R of DISTRIBUTORS FOR button.

What about suggesting to the man that pays the bills to put a link to the catalog on the big premises picture?

Archived