• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

friendly hack?

ccIces

This one has me confused..

I loaded up the site I am working on at a friends house and all across the top part was a pink box with the message that said " I can write to <path>/configure.php Please set the proper permissions on this file". I came home to try to figure out how to do that and the message is gone.

Can someone give me a quick run down or point me to the appropriate discussion on this? I am a newb to hosting a site and I am attempting to figure it out.. we all to start someplace right. Thanks in advance.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.. teach a man to fish and he will collect UI for 6 months of the year!

Go into your hosts cpanel, load up filemanager or whatever it is they have and change the permissions on the file configure.php.

-Matt

okay.. I googled for "php file permissions" and now have a basic understanding of the settings. Currently, I see a number of files that are set to various permissions. The configure file was set to 644. Should it be set to 755 or am I misunderstanding the settings? Also, are there any other files that would need to be changed in permissions out of the box?

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.. teach a man to fish and he will collect UI for 6 months of the year!

thank you.. found them..

btw.. how do you guys do it?

I mean.. I have been trying to install and set up oscommerce now for maybe a week or so and already I am seeing tons of posts that even I say "geez.. that's been asked a million times".. and yet.. here I go and post a rtfm question..

A million thanks to all who help

although.. that probably isnt enough to cover all the help you have given.

ccIces

Your welcome Bob, I am new to this too but I have posted plenty of embarassing questions on the Vbulletin boards. :wink:

If it's any consolation, I don't think the search is working here, at least when I was trying to find posts about a parse error none came up.

Archived