• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

One tax zone charging everyone tax...

I've followed all the instructions I've found to set up tax zones. This is the main one that I followed: http://wiki.oscommerce.com/helpAdminTaxes.

We only need to charge Tennessee residents sales tax and I have the zone set up for TN. We've had tax charged to everyone from North Carolina to Texas so far.

Someone set this up for us and I can't get in touch with him right now to ask which version we have, but if anyone knows how I can tell, I'll look it up and let you all know...

Thanks in advance...

Nancy

Yes, we are located in Alabama, but our home office is in Tennessee. Sparing you all the details, we only have to charge people from Tennessee sales tax. We've had orders from Texas, North Carolina and Virginia and it put tax on all of them. I finally just took all of the tax zones off, but would like to get it fixed...

Thanks!

I've followed all the instructions I've found to set up tax zones. This is the main one that I followed: http://wiki.oscommerce.com/helpAdminTaxes.

This link led here

This page doesn't exist yet.

Try this:

1. In admin, under Locations/Taxes, click on "Tax Zones"

2. Click on the "new zone" button. In the Zone Name: input field I enter "CA".

3. For Description I enter "California". Click on "insert"

4. After you click insert, you will see CA show up in the list. You think you're done, but not quite!

5. Click on the "CA" (or whatever name you have!) in the list and you will see the heading say "Geographical Zones / CA"

6. Here you see a "new zone" button again. Click on it!

7. Now you get to select a geographical zone. From Country, I Select United States.

8. From Region, Select California. Click "update"

9. A few more steps to go! Now under "Locations/Taxes" click on "Tax Rates"

10. Click on "new tax rate" button

11. Select "Taxable Goods" from the Tax Class Title drop down menu

12. From the Zone menu, select CA (or whatever zone you created)

13. In the Tax Rate field enter the tax percentage

14. In the Description, enter the description, e.g. "California Sales Tax"

I think that I may have missed a step in that process before... Doing it this time, I realized that under tax zones, when I put in TN, it was a folder and had more settings to fill out inside it. The last time I did it, I don't remember going in that far.

We'll wait and see when an order comes in if it works...

Thanks for the help!

Archived