• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Google doesn't index my 'Information' pages

benoutram

Hello,

I've just re-registered as my account seemed to have been deleted!

Today I installed the 'session killer' mod to remove the SID from URL's if the user agent is a search engine bot.

However, I've noticed the only page from my site indexed at the moment is default.php.

My oscommerce site has been in Google for about 16 months now, and in that time I would have expected delivery.php, returns.php contact_us.php etc. to have been indexed.

If there is a problem with indexing these then I reckon I've got no chance of getting the product pages indexed :cry:

Here is my site if anyone can see what's wrong?

Thanks for your help :D

First, if you installed any SID Killer other than Burt's (found in the contributions forum) then you need to remove it and get Burt's. Either that or upgrade to MS2.

All of the other SID Killer's (other than Burt's) are faulty.

Other users have their product pages listed on Google without issue but I do not know about the information pages. I would not expect them to be indexed as think about how many shipping policy pages would be returned on a search for shipping.

Besides that, I cannot imagine that anyone will be finding your store based upon terms in you Conditions of Use policy.

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - A. Einstein

The reason why none of your other pages are listed in google is because they all have the exact same meta tags.

In order to have more than one page indexed in Google, you need to have more than one set of meta tags.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

The reason why none of your other pages are listed in google is because they all have the exact same meta tags.

In order to have more than one page indexed in Google, you need to have more than one set of meta tags.

Not true. We have over 500 pages listed, all with the same meta tags.

Can I see a link?

Unually, if more than one page has the exact same meta title, Google will only index one or the other.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Can I see a link?

Unually, if more than one page has the exact same meta title, Google will only index one or the other.

No problem. Watch out now though. Google is starting to pick up many of our pages with different keyword tags. There are still plenty with the same keyword tags though. Probably about 50% or more. All still carry the same meta description tag.

http://www.google.com/search?q=+site:www.c...f&start=10&sa=N

Well, I suppose I stand corrected.

However, it is generally good practice to have at least a different Meta *title* for each page you wis hto have indexed. I wouldn't trust that Google would index more than one page with the same meta title.

• 2 weeks later...

For ranking purposes, Google and most other search engines ignore keywords in all meta tags except the title. If you want to rank well, the title is important, then headings and body text on static pages, and above all, inbound links from important pages on other sites.

Regards,

Patrick

Archived