• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

SSL setup procedure (newbie)

Patrick Taylor

Hello everyone. I'm new to this. I've set up osCommerce on my normal non-secure server, played around with a few things (design changes) and am very impressed with osCommerce. Now I want to set up SSL. I was thinking of purchasing a shared certificate from my hosting provider, who presumably can give me the https://etc, a secure cookie domain, and the secure cookie path - all things requested when I went through the installation procedure and which I opted out from at this stage.

My first question is: once I have a shared SSL can I reupload the install folder and go through the installation procedure again, this time checking the SSL box and just putting in those three pieces of info? Will that get me up and running securely?

My second question is: will osCommerce allow me to bypass a payment gateway provider and simply download ecrypted order details so I can process them manually on my own credit card machine?

Regards,

Patrick

1- the only changes you have to do is in both your includes/configure.php files (catalog and admin).

define('HTTPS_SERVER', 'your shared ssl path.com'); // eg, https://localhost - should not be empty for productive servers

define('ENABLE_SSL', true); // secure webserver for checkout procedure?

2- just enable your cc module in admin side of store

admin>modules>payment

3- I am surprise that your Hosting company is selling you a shared ssl, most of them supplies this free to their customer.

I dont know the price but you can have your own ssl certificate for 50$ a year

HTH

The_Bear

Thanks for replying. As I say, this is new to me. I've uploaded my files to my normal non-secure server and from what you said, enabling SSL seems simple enough (whichever way I do it). I'm not clear, though, about what changes this makes, when I have a shared SSL and put those two steps into effect. Will the secure checkout pages still be on the same server or will there be some process that transfers pages to another 'secure' server with my hosting provider?

Regards,

Patrick

Archived