• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Another newbie....

industrialglitter

:oops: My name is Geri and I'm new here and I have a dilemma.

I am building a small business website for a friend since I have been creating webpages from the age of fourteen. However, I have never learned PHP and know almost nothing about MySQL. I design webpages, graphics, etc., but this is my first venture into the world of a business site.

I have osCommerce uploaded and everything is set up. Now, here is the big question I have [well, the first one at least] - is there a program I can use that will help me preview the php code as I go along instead of looking at jargon for hours on end? I write most of my code in notepad with html and now I have Dreamweaver which I have grown to love.

But, yes, you cannot view the php files in Dreamweaver [prior to MX - which I do not have]. What about FrontPage? The store doesn't have that many items and I would like to get it up and going as soon as I am able and then have time to tinker with the rest later. If anyone can help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

BTW - I have read through a lot of the other posts and have visited wiki, but it still looks like jargon to me. I just need to at least set up the configuration styles and whatnot so that I can place it on the webpage. I don't know how to add images or anything in php.

Thanks in Advance! :wink:

"The only thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return." [Moulin Rouge]

I have the store I am working on installed localhost (Easyphp) - I edit using Ultraedit and just keep a browser window open and refresh as I make changes.... so simple (and cheap!)

I have the store I am working on installed localhost (Easyphp) - I edit using Ultraedit and just keep a browser window open and refresh as I make changes.... so simple (and cheap!)

See, you lost me with the easyphp and what is Ultraedit? And hey, if it's cheap, then it's definitely calling for me. Hark, I think I hear it.

"The only thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return." [Moulin Rouge]

Easyphp is just a simple way to install Apache, PHP and MySQL on a Windows box - www.easyphp.org - there are others - Ultraedit is a text editor designed for programming....nice things like syntax highlighting and search and replace - www.ultraedit.com - again, there are others

I d/loaded and installed Maguma Studio (www.maguma.com) FREE version. It's really good, with purpose built editor for php and MySql development. I now use it to edit the OSC files directly off my server host using ftp_surfer from http://www.whispertech.com .alsoanother freeware utility.

The php & MySql came from the good work of www.firepages.com.au and to be honest, this option really takes away the hassle of installing local version of php and MySQL onto your PC. It neatly sets you up for php and MySQL based development.

I d/loaded and installed Maguma Studio from http://www.whispertech.com .also another freeware utility. Maguma application loads automatically when you choose to launch the downloaded php source file. Once you're done editing, selecting save, directly uploads the file to server. Really neat.

The php & MySql came from the good work of www.firepages.com.au and to be honest, this option really takes away the hassle of installing local version of php and MySQL onto your PC. It neatly sets you up for php and MySQL based development. From the description, it can get pretty complicated for first timers if installing individual components, unless you're really into it for the experience. For me, to start editing OSC, just go for the many installs like the one described.

That was about as helpful as screen doors on submarines, right?

First what we are doing with PHP, ususally, is dynamically building pages on the fly. We need three things to do that, Apache Web Server, a version of PHP to parse the php code, and a data base.

These things are usually always present on your hosting service. Unless they are using M$ crap and then I suggest you run to a REAL host as quick as possible.

To do your edits locally you will need a version of Apache, PHP and MYSQL that will run in a windows enviroment.

There are several available. I like PHPDEV PHP 4.3.0 avaible for free at

http://www.firepages.com.au/

This a no brainer install.

However, after install go to your windows dir and find php.ini and find

register_globals = Off

change this to

register_globals = On

place your oscommerce dir in phpdev/www

you will find to links in phpdev to start and stop apache/mysql

start phpdev

Always use the stop apache/mysql or you will eventually break your install.

scroll down to your oscommerce dir

/install/index.php

do the normal install

use the db "test"

do not enter user or password.

do your editing in dw and view via locahost.

That should get you jump started.

FYI using "properties" in dw while running phpdev will crash windows.

You can also use the phpmyadmin to start to learn about mysql

Archived