• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

I need your help.

toyo

Can anyone help me out with this problem? I have set it as directed by oscommerce Team without good outcome. Even my host tried it too.

Warning: I am able to write to the configuration file: /home/strato/www/ge/www.geb.com/htdocs/ge/catalog/includes/configure.php. This is a potential security risk - please set the right user permissions on this file.

Before installation you have to chmod both your includes/configure.php to 777 and after installation to chmod them back to 644

HTH

The_Bear

Thanks for your replies. I was involved in that very problem in that very place, too. Not that we did not know that we have to set the permissions in the explained way, but it simply didn't work. I tried to set it first with cuteftp and then with ws_ftp. With ws_ftp you can set it, use "refresh", the chosen rights will still show. Then you terminate ws_ftp and start ws_ftp again. When then you check your rights again - they will be back to the old (or any other value maybe), but not the way you set it before (by all means if you want to set it to 444 this will not last. It will go back to 644, and when you start the shop the warning "it it possible to write into configure.php" will show. So I understand it that way that the rights are indeed NOT to 444...)

I called the provider several times. 2 days ago they admitted that there seems to be a problem. When yesterday i checked configure.php the rights were set to 444 (must have been done by the provider). But the work on this shop is not yet finished, and immediately after touching configure.php again the old problem was there again. I cannot set the rights back to 444.

Which is possible at puretec for example, but not at strato.

CAN ANYBODY EXPLAIN THIS TO ME;

DID ANYBODY HAVE SIMILAR PROBLEMS WITH STRATO OR ANY OTHER PLACE?

When today I called the hotline the man over there even refused to check the problem. He told me that this is the way how ftp-connection will work at strato, and that i should use telnet...

ok, there are gaps in my knowledge. But WHY should ftp work in other place but not with strato? I can't imagine. Should i really spend my time and find out about telnet?

The permission-problem is not the only one there.

The wrong permission will just give a warning but should not disturb the function of the shop.

But when i register and when i order - my shopping-cart will be empty - or not. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Or i try to order a second item and then suddenly the first one will be there, too. Or I had 2 items in the cart and suddenly they are gone... and it is not possible to finish the buying-process.

I installed the very same files on localhost and it is working fine.

So I guess the problem is with strato, and I feel one should change to some other place...

CAN ANYBODY SET SOME LIGHT INTO THIS DARKNESS?

Do you have CPanel with your Hosting provider?

If yes chmod your files with the CPanel file manager

I never had problem that way

HTH

The_Bear

Thanks for your reply.

I did not see cpanel, but i found out about telnet.

Nothing is difficult if one knows how to do it!

And it was SUCCESSFUL - the permissions can be changed by telnet.

Anyway, why do they (strato) suggest ws_ftp if it doesn't work?

Shouldn't they mention that for these things one has to use telnet and not ftp???!!!!!!

so we can start to deal with the further problems!

Anyway, why do they (strato) suggest ws_ftp if it doesn't work?

Shouldn't they mention that for these things one has to use telnet and not ftp???!!!!!!

It has nothing to do with ws_ftp, it very much sounds like your host's server setup and configuration.

ws_ftp (or any FTP program) will only carry out CHMOD commands that the server setup and configuration allows it to.

The promlem is with your host, not the software

Dope

yes, the problem is with the host, not with the ftp-pgm itself.

I understood it that way.

But the host is the one who says one should use ws_ftp - without mentioning that chmod will not work at their server.

I guess it is because of Unix-System (or whatsoever, it says

SunOS localhost 5.8 Generic_108528-03 sun4u sparc SUNW,UltraSPARC-IIi-cEngine

seems that also the sessions are handled in another way on a unix-system. We have problems in that area, too.

Thanks for your reply!

• 8 months later...

Strato: protection

Hi,

i had the same prob with strato... u've got to change the attributes per telnet, i don't know why, but it doesn't work with ftp...

greetz

OTTKE

hi

yes im with Strato, proberly the biggest mistake i made. :angry:

i upgraded to get the databank.... before i could delete folders . Now i cant even do that , permission denied .

Can you please explain the command with telnet to change the permissions .

so i dont get the

Warning: I am able to write to the configuration file: /home/strato/www/ge/www.geb.com/htdocs/ge/catalog/includes/configure.php. This is a potential security risk - please set the right user permissions on this file.

im just going mad here . :blink: it seems one problem after the other with strato.

would be most gratefull for a little help.

thanks

Archived