• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

http://www.alternateclothing.com/

http://www.alternateclothing.com/

please let me know what you think. Im really after some tips for getting the site listed on seaarch engines.

I have all prods installed and category dependant meta tags which are yet to be created.

also the site is domain forwarded, and so in its own iframe, which is keyworded too :S does that matter??

Let me know what you like / dislike,

regards

pete

I like the simplicity, easy to use. The infobox titles are too big. Your click to enlarge doesnt do a good job, because it doesn't enlarge. The product listing is from A-H, what about the rest? The powered by osCommerce at the bottom is in a awkward spot. It seems like you need some sort of a footer at the bottom. Definately get rid of the double line thing on mouseover links. Thats very destracting. Overall, the design aspects are good, just needs a little fine touch.

turtle power!

Thanks for the interest,

the products are been added locally for speed atm, and will be uploaded soon.

the footer needs work, agreed....again this will be done soon.

Are the category images really to big? Maybe more oppinions on that.

Bad news searcgh engine-wise :(

Nip over to:

http://www.webconfs.com/search-engine-spid...r-simulator.php

and pop in your URL - nothing comes up - so it is unlikelely search engines will ever find your store!

Why? Frames - you have put your store in frames and killed entry for SE spiders. They may pick up "Sorry, you don't appear to have frame support.".

If you put http://www.interbikes.com/foxy/index.php in the spider simulator you get a result.

Solution? Reload your site into the root directory of your server - don't worry about admin and remember to update paths in configure.php. Redirect from a splash page won't work well either as spiders need up to 10 seconds ito index and humans won't wait that long...

Warning - just check your host accepts index.php as a starting file. If not there is a shirt .htaccess file that will make it work.

Good luck!

Looks great! Nice layout.

I took a look at your site in Netscape 4.7 :x and coolmenu does not show up in many sites that have this contribution added to it. I am also using coolmenu on my site www.germanautozone.com and can not seem to overcome this problem. If anyone out there knows how to fix this, please let us know!

is there am option somewhere to overcome this coolmenu thing?

Yes - forget about the obsolete browser NS4.7 and start worrying about the search engine situation!

yes, I am curently in talks with my host to transfer the domain over.

And yes I will ship to sweeden, but firstly I have lots of work to do with everything :)

Looks great! Nice layout.

I took a look at your site in Netscape 4.7 :x and coolmenu does not show up in many sites that have this contribution added to it. I am also using coolmenu on my site www.germanautozone.com and can not seem to overcome this problem. If anyone out there knows how to fix this, please let us know!

Take a look at your stylesheet.css #menu at the bottom.

#menu has some nasty css stuff in it. z-index doesnt work in Netscape 4. You are probably covering up your menu with the category box. The other problem is you are using absolute positiong for your coolmenu div. Your css element in #menu is telling the browser to put the menu 50% from the left of its parent the body tag. Then you are forcing it to the left with your negative margin-left. Not knowing how netscape 4 treats this, you may even be forcing the coolmenu off the screen. Given that I can't find it by resizing I bet that is what is happening.

Hope this helps.

-Pat

Who cares about NS4 any more anyways? :? It's been obsolete for quite some time now. :wink:

That is like saying that you want to get rid of some percentage of your business. Do you really want to do that?

-Pat

Who cares about NS4 any more anyways? :? It's been obsolete for quite some time now. :wink:

That is like saying that you want to get rid of some percentage of your business. Do you really want to do that?

The percentage is 0.2% and falling. And folk still using NS4.7 are unlikely to buy anything from estores when they won't even upgrade their browser for free!

The percentage is 0.2% and falling. And folk still using NS4.7 are unlikely to buy anything from estores when they won't even upgrade their browser for free!

If you follow some simple rules NS4 is easily supported. If you code HTML towards w3c standards you will be ok. If you don't someone is going to complain and if someone complains you have a problem.

To get cross browser compatibility:

1. Code using standard HTML (see www.w3c.org)

2. Don't use javascript that is only supported in Internet Explorer.

3. Test, test test.

That person still using NS4, he might buy something and tell his/her friend who buys something and tells his/her friend who buys something ad infinitum. The customer is always right, and if they use NS4.x they are right.

-Pat

interbikes, one thing I immediately noticed is that you use JPGs for "Products', 'Just In' etc. Don't do that! I can see the compression artifacts right away and if you were to save the files as GIF they would even be a little bit smaller.

Just a little thing to look after.

Done the jpgs to gifs, I also thing thats a great suggestion. Thankyou so much.

The cool menu I got a little script from the contributions section basically if there is no java enabled it goes to the original menu. Not sure if that helps browser wise.

Anyone else have some proof reading skills or an eye for detail? Please help.

• 1 month later...

ok people, after taking in all the comments and trying VERY hard for the last month purely workin on my site and having an 8 hour shift. I have now 'finished' (we all know that doesnt happen :P)

I know people say dont use jpgs for your smaller images, but in this case I must for the pdf catalog to work properly...thankyou. Otherwise I agree completely.

The store is live, so please dont make any fake orders.

The mods I used are as much as I can remember:

* Guest account

* Ebay manager (love that)

* Links exchange (feel free)

* Infobox images (very nice)

* Dynamic meta tags (needed!)

* PDF catalogue (although it keeps giving me a 500 error :( )

* Visitor stats (admin side)

* Newsletter (great mod)

* Affiliates mod (deactivated untill further development)

* Sm/Med/Lrg product images (GREAT!!!)

* Custom product_info page (I did it so GREAT!)

* Images as options (A god send, thanks!)

* Quick attribute input (forgot the official name)

* Cat and menu tabs (What a contribution, so many uses!)

* Cheque payment module (Without it I couldnt except cheques )

* Paypal IPN paymeny module (few!!!! tahts all I can say )

Maybe more but I cant remember off hand.

Please let me know what you think if you are new here! and also;

not sure if its really 'my store' but can you tell me what you think to this too:

bantemp.gif

MANY thanks!! Please tell me your oppinions even if they are so horrible you'd never want your mum to hear them...

PS - If anyone knows a fix for this netscape css error, PLEASE let me know:)

Hi Interbike, nice design! Like always I like the cool menu! Thanks for the listing of the contribs you used. I'd like to try out something like custom product_info page, but can't find it. Is it a contribution, or just means you designed the product_info "by hand"? Can you tell me the real name of the contrib?

Thanks

Angelika

Archived