• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Just a thought...

LadyPar

Ya know, I've been searching, then reading, then searching, then thinking of imaginative ways to type in the search being sure to use the *, lol. And I've noticed a few things...

In order to chance a design layout there are a few files that need to be fiddled with, ok I can deal with that for now until something different is worked out template wise. My observation is though:

hmm, though there are people out there who know how exactly fiddle with a site to get a specific look or take one of those pretty templates form a popular site and somehow get it to work with oscom....

I still haven't as of yet run across any post with a step by step of how exactly they altered the full page design.

To be honest instead of telling a newbie to go to such and such site or such and such post wouldn't it be splendid if someone would be super

fantastic enough to as they're doing a site jot down what they did to get the look and share it with the community so that folks could get an idea on whole rather than have to ask numerous questions?

Just a thought :D

Par

You only get to live *this* life one time, so do as well as you can but be sure to also enjoy it.

The thing is that I don't expect a non-programmer to be able tochange the design, heavily modify, or add additional functionality to OSC.

Honestly, I don't know why non programming shop owners feel like the *should* be able to completly redesign the way OSC looks. Why do htey think that Web Designers make so much money? And no, just because they know a little HTML does not make them a web designer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Why would you even want someone elses ste by step instructions on how they did their site? That would give you a site that looked like theirs. To be successful you need to have a site that is DIFFERENT from everyone elses.

Also I agree with Chris about the web designer concept. If you can't do it on your own, and don't have the patience to learn, pay someone to do it for you.

What I guess I was trying to say was... well wait a sec :wink: why not guys? Not so that folks would end up with an exact same design but just notes on how exactly a site was changed step by step like for example:

Zeligx (a pointy headed friend of mine):

On the 18th of October 2002, I drew out what I wanted my store to look like... and it was good, and the sun shined down upon me and I praised Squishy the Great Bear :::chuckle::: that I had thought of such a wonderful design!

To do my inspired design I first knew that would would want to change blank I went to page blah blah and changed such and such to the new whatever

Now honestly just because a person is new to a code style doesn't mean they can't have a crack at it that is the best way to learn. Me I'm a graphaholic, and ya know what? I taught myself that through trial and error (lotsa error 8) but I kept pluggin along, lol).

The only problem I'm having with oscom is that... sure I can get an idea of how to change a box at wiki hehe, did that already and sure it's helpful to have contributions and rest assured I'm not silly enough to tackle my store alone at the moment I have a very sweet person helping me...but I still want to learn how to fiddle with oscom in particular in case I ever want to change my site and I'm one of those folks that literally learns better by watching someone else I would just love to analyze the steps.

Par

You only get to live *this* life one time, so do as well as you can but be sure to also enjoy it.

Sure, well, that's a different story entirely. Learning how to change the appearance of your cart is encouraged. But, before we get too carried away, let me give you an example of what you're in for.

I'm a professional programmer. I work full time for a big huge corporation, and I program 80 hours per week. People pay millions of dollars for the solutions that I help develope as part of a team. I have 5 years of hardcore experience in SQL, perl, C++, shell scripting (Unix), RPG, and AS400 query. I have 10 years experience in basic, and VB.

However, I had 0 experience in HTML and PHP. with my experience, I thought that coming up wiht a completly unique layout and style would be a breeze. Like you, I figured that if you just showed me the steps, I would pick it up with relative ease.

Well, its about a year later, and I'm still not satisfied. Sure, there are some things you can easily change, colors, fonts, images, but the thing people fail to realize here is that this is a dynamic cart. That means that it's HTML and javascript *embedded* into the PHP. It's not that easy to just move things around and redesign the whole thing into a uniqe look, at least not for me, *still*.

That being said, there are some things you can do with relative ease. The CSS, obviously for one. You should use that for any and all font of color changes. Even backgound images. consider this step one.

Step two, there is a contribution in the contribution section to change all of your infobox headers to images. I suggest you implement this into your shop. I'd give you the link, but hey, you need to look through all ofthose contributions yourself, one by one, to know what's there.

Step three, eliminate the infoboxes, or moce them form left to right as you see fit.

Step four, take an infobox, rename it, add it to your column left or right, and take a line or two out until it's completly empty. Use this a a templete to add whatever new boxes you might want.

Step five. Remember that the cart is basically comprised of hte following parts

header.php

footer.php

column_left.php

column_right.php

and Whatever dynamically happens to be in the middle.

Anyway, I honestly feel like that's as close as anyone can possibly come to giving you a step by step guide on how to customize your cart.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Thank you :) that's basically what I needed and you know honestly it was your design that really hooked me on your site. I love the snazzy layout so much and what you offer (of course) that I signed up so that when I can finally afford a gamer compter (ie one that doesn't fart dust every time I turn it on, rofl) I can buy some new nifty games (was very disapointed in the end of Riddle of the Sphinx & though Diablo 2 was ok it wasn't that great ::: ducking :::)

Hey it can take a year before I figure it out that's all good! I just want to see what I can fiddle with design wise on my learning site it'll probably be a year before I tire of my design anyhoo... I hope :roll:

As for contributions I'm likely to put my coder back in the hospital once he gets my new *honey do* list :lol:

On infoboxes already started to // a couple on my learning site just to see what it would look like for giggles it is after all for learning and easily fixed... I keep the mantra of "back up back up back up" always in my mind.

Yours with an *idea*

Par

Christy,

I have to admit, I like your enthousiasm. it's people like you that make me continue to come back here offering help nad bits and pieces of advice.

Feel free to email or IM me with questions anytime. I don't do design work for anyone anymore, but I'd be happy to point you in the right direction occasionally.

Chris,

I'm so glad you come back and post because you too were new to this once and I've got to be honest in the part of society that I belong to we tend to try and learn from those who have gone before us so we don't fudge up too much :wink:

Course fudging up helps us learn but it's sometimes a better lesson to learn by example rather than the hard way just depends on the lesson, hehe.

Par

Archived