• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Build it and they will come!!

Dangeo1

Build a website and they will come.

That is, if they can find the link!!

It can take up to several months site submissions to reach the search engines databases (so I've heard). In the mean time, you're store is not making any money.

A suggestion to help remedy this "slump" when new stores (like my own) just get started.

What about an osCommerce webring? With minimal functionality, stores opt in or out of the webring. Opting in would allow dynamic/random linking to other osCommerce shops. And, with a little effort, an index could be created to allow customers to browse osCommerce stores by category, product name, manufacturer, etc.

Although I do not own a shop, I think it's a great idea. But I'm not sure if it would succed. Just count the shops that removed the Powered by osc text.

Regards,

Piotr

Personally, I am getting fed up with the search engine dance. I've been working on it for about eight months and haven't made any progress. I see googlebot on my site- but it keeps on indexing the old, orphaned pages and ignoring my OSCommerce storefront. This is not doing me ANY good!

I've been uploading a data feed to froogle for about six weeks now. Froogle doesn't have any problem with oscommerce, why does google? geeze loweeze!

psst... wanna buy a wand?

A nice idea but maybe a bit off-center???

I can't imagine why a shopper would specifically search out an osCommerce site - in most instances, I imagine it's the goods that they're after rather then the presentation (although I'd suggest that the presentation is obviously one of osC's fortes!)

Therefore, why not search out webrings relevant to your site's activity?

For instance, if you sell auto-parts, see if you can join an auto-parts web ring or even a car club ring?

Or, if you sell antiquarian books, why not try and join a book collectors web ring or something similar.

:D

I'll grant you though, the whole searchengine lark is a bit of a pain!

Froogle doesn't have any problem with oscommerce, why does google?

Not to be off topic here, but Google doesn't have a problem with OSC sites. You just have to know what you're doing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Have you tried searching?

Try clicking on 'Search' above.

Then type 'Meta Tags'.

You will be surprised what you find... especially take a look at the 'Header Tags Controller'

I've been using the Header Tags Controller and the AllProds contribution for less than a month and the number of visitors to my site have increased phenominally. I also did a lot of searching and reading about search engines and various methods of spidering.

Have a read of my signature below... it pertains to this thread IMHO.

"The price of success is perseverance. The price of failure comes much cheaper."

I added a meta tag to the index.php

It looks like this...

===============

<meta name="KEYWORDS" content="sunglasses, shades, polish, wax, aluminum, classic cars, cheap sunglasses, flames, flamed sunglasses, car show, g-force, gforce, ideas, g-force Ideas, wholesale, cool sunglasses, cool shades, flame, flamed, flaming, shine, car, automobile, shiny, cheap, wholesalers, paint, restore, restoration, cool, kickass, best price, Sunglasses, Shades, Polish, Wax, Aluminum, Classic cars, Cheap sunglasses, Flames, Flamed sunglasses, Car show, G-force, Gforce, Ideas, G-force Ideas, Wholesale, Cool sunglasses, Cool shades, Flame, Flamed, Flaming, Shine, Car, Automobile, Shiny, Cheap, Wholesalers, Paint, Restore, Restoration, Cool, Kickass, Best price, Classic Cars, Cheap Sunglasses, Flamed Sunglasses, Car Show, G-Force, GForce, Ideas, G-Force Ideas, Cool Sunglasses, Cool Shades, Best Price">

===============

Still no hits. I will look for more.

Also, don't they prefer that you put the keywords on the product pages rather than the index page? I don't know if/how they check this, but I have read that what they want to do is to link to the actual page rather than to a page from which it can be reached.

Also, don't they frown on repeats of words in the keywords?

Cheers,

Matt

Ok, I trimmed the KEYWORDS down drastically.

I installed the Header Tags Manager, and admin. (that was fun).

>> How do I know if the Tag Manager works?? <<

Anyhow, We'll see how it goes.

If, after a couple of weeks, I'm still not getting search engine hits, I'll add the allproducts thing that was mentioned.

The allproducts mod is one of the easiest contributions to do. All it really entails is adding one file to the catalog folder, and putting a link to it on your default.php page.

Might as well do it now.

Actually, I find that Google doesn't particularly care for the allprods file as it is currently constructed. As a matter of fact, it doens't seem to like any pages that are predominantly links, like link farm pages either. If it doens't fins a significant portion of hte page to be content, it will ignore the allprods page altogether.

This may not be the case for everyone, but I think you'd find that this is the case more often than not.

A better alprods page would include the thump, price, and breif description, to add some content.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

• 2 weeks later...
Have you tried searching?

Try clicking on 'Search' above.

Then type 'Meta Tags'.

You will be surprised what you find... especially take a look at the 'Header Tags Controller'

I've been using the Header Tags Controller and the AllProds contribution for less than a month and the number of visitors to my site have increased phenominally.  I also did a lot of searching and reading about search engines and various methods of spidering.

Have a read of my signature below... it pertains to this thread IMHO.

I totally agree !!

I added a meta tag to the index.php

It looks like this...

===============

<meta name="KEYWORDS" content="sunglasses, shades, polish, wax, aluminum, classic cars, cheap sunglasses, flames, flamed sunglasses, car show, g-force, gforce, ideas, g-force Ideas, wholesale, cool sunglasses, cool shades, flame, flamed, flaming, shine, car, automobile, shiny, cheap, wholesalers, paint, restore, restoration, cool, kickass, best price, Sunglasses, Shades, Polish, Wax, Aluminum, Classic cars, Cheap sunglasses, Flames, Flamed sunglasses, Car show, G-force, Gforce, Ideas, G-force Ideas, Wholesale, Cool sunglasses, Cool shades, Flame, Flamed, Flaming, Shine, Car, Automobile, Shiny, Cheap, Wholesalers, Paint, Restore, Restoration, Cool, Kickass, Best price, Classic Cars, Cheap Sunglasses, Flamed Sunglasses, Car Show, G-Force, GForce, Ideas, G-Force Ideas, Cool Sunglasses, Cool Shades, Best Price">

===============

Still no hits.  I will look for more.

tony is referring to the meta tags controller use this to get google and other search engines to index your product catalog make sure you specify meta descriptions and meta titles for each product

• 2 weeks later...

Archived