• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

site is live, info on search engines and handling spiders?

dcswiftly

mysite is live, info on search engines and handling spiders is required. people remark on their site is being crawled, how do they know. should i have a robot txt file? what is sid? any pointers much appreciated.

i have made progress on computers over the last few years as a middle aged man, so please be patient if i do not grasp first time your advice.

David,

I don't have all your answers but am self taught and middle-aged as well and I understand how frustrating to need answers and to not get them or not understand them.

Here is what I know. On my server, they use Cpanel for users to manage their sites. From within Cpanel you can look at WebStats and see reports about the traffic on your site. My server has several versions of these reports. In those reports, I can see if and what robots have visited. Some do show up as "unknown robot" or similar but most do show where they are from. That is pretty much what I can help you with. I will be following this thread to see what you find out as I would like to know as well.

Good luck,

Ken

thanks ken, now i have a starting point

i have made progress on computers over the last few years as a middle aged man, so please be patient if i do not grasp first time your advice.

Archived