• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

My site is up! (and it has been for 12 days)

Hi Everyone,

I just have a few (hundred) quick questions/requests

1. What do you think of my site - www.oohprettythings.com ? Constructive criticism, please, and details of how to fix things (I'm very new to this)

2. Is my hit count looking OK?

3. How do I get listed on Google?

4. Why isn't anyone buying anything yet?!!

5. How do I change colours of headings etc?

Thanks!

Shannon

I know there are hardly any items - like I said, I only just started it, and the nature of vintage clothing means you can't just call up a company and request some product!

I don't know how to remove the hit count!

Here it goes.

The hit counter is the least of your problems. Your site is just a stock version of osCommerce. Now there isn't anything wrong with the default look of it, but you really need to change it to set yourself apart from the other thousand or so people who use osCommerce's default setting.

That's where I would start. Add a banner, change the colors, spend a day or two just playing with the design. My site took me about a month or longer to get all my designs and graphics. A site that is installed in five minutes without any changes to it can't be expected to make much money.

As stated already, check out the wiki.oscommerce.com section as there is much help there to customize your store.

Good luck! :)

I'm laughing about your 'five minute out of the box installation' - it took me a good 2 hours to get it up, and then about 3 days to get all the images and 'mini-sites' happening.

I'm currently working on a logo. Is it bad that I actually *like* the default colour scheme? It works well with the backgrounds of my images, and is inoffensive.

I haven't publicised the site yet, it's only readers of this forum and the vogue.com.au forum that know it even exists (search engines haven't found it yet). So, it's not going to be a tragedy if it's not brilliant for a while. As you can tell, I'm a complete newbie at this stuff - I had to get an 'idiot's guide to html' type book to learn to make the mini-sites. Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

Shan

It doesn't really matter how long it took you personally, but what the end result is. Personally there is nothing exciting about your site whatsoever.

There is nothing to attract anyone to stay at your site long enough to purchase anything.

Ooh, you boys can be harsh!

I'm well aware of what the site's limitations are, but right now I don't have enormous amounts of time to spend working on it - I am working full time as well as studying. I'm asking for *constructive* criticism - if you think something is wrong, tell me how to fix it.

If I told students that their work was terrible and had no redeeming qualities, I'd be fired pretty darn quickly!

-shan

I wasn't trying to be mean, I was just trying to get accross the fact that you site is bland and does not stand out from other sites. You asked why you were not getting sales, this the reason why.

The fact is there is not one thing that you can do to "fix" your site. You need to sit back, and think what you want it to look like. Then find out how to do it, one piece at a time. If you don't have the time for it, there are many people who could set you up with a decent site for a very good price.

A Very Good Price, eh? Are you volunteering me your services?

I did have a site planned, and I was gradually coding it in html. When I got oscommerce, I think I became a little... confused... as to how much of the site layout was modifyable and how much I could change.

For instance: I'd love to have a logo in a font that makes you think 'Marilyn Monroe' - but I know zilch about fonts and all the sites I've found require prior knowledge.

Instance 2: I'd love to have a couple of different sized images on the front page, and two columns of images on each product page (1940s for example). oscommerce doesn't seem to want to let me do this!

I guess I did the typical Shannon thing of jumping in without looking - and now I've hit a snag. I *am* working on it (and looking at other sites for inspiration), but I need smiles and encouragement!

I am no designer, I have just been learning as I go along. If you look at my site: http://www.gofastperformance.com/catalog/ it isn't quite done yet, but I had absolutely zero knowledge of osc before I started. I just looked at other sites, saw some things I liked and found ways to integrate them into my site.

I started by reading the tutorials, and when I ran into problems I used the forums. People here are more than happy to help.

Ooh, it's very nice! I shall have to work out how to do some things... And I shall ask for help again, very soon. Ooh! Pretty Things! will be pretty one day soon...

Ok, sorry to ask for more help but I just can't work this out! I want to make all the little headings have a background the same colour blue as my logo - I've gone to stylesheet and changed them, but to no avail! Also, I can't work out how to change my background colour...

Yes, I have read the wiki stuff!!

Shannon :)

1. What do you think of my site - www.oohprettythings.com ? Constructive criticism, please, and details of how to fix things (I'm very new to this)

Code errors!

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/username/public_html/includes/database_tables.php:61) in /home/username/public_html/includes/functions/general.php on line 1174
Get it fixed. Look in the FAQ as this happens to a lot of people.

Look of your site: Not bad for a first go. But see if you can get away from the "standard" Oscommerce look. Get a new logo made.

Reduce your text sizes.

Reduce your image sizes.

Get rid of the grey square in the infoboxes.

You really need to sit down and decide which way to take this. For a site selling luxury items and named "oohprettythings", I would expect the site to look "pretty".

hth

2. Is my hit count looking OK?
Remove it. Makes sites look amateur, and it is not a true count anyway. Edit footer.php to remove it.

3. How do I get listed on Google?
Patience, code optimisations. If you have not already then go and install the following:

a) SID killer (look in tips/tricks forum for a few very long threads about this).

B) All Prods (this creates a page which lists all of your products in one place).

Now go to google and all the rest of the engines and submit. Also dmoz.org. Consider paying Google adwords.

4. Why isn't anyone buying anything yet?!!
A good ratio for visitors to purchases is 0.5%. So for every 1000 visitors, you should get 5 sales (obviously this varies depending upon what you are selling, prices, look of the site and so on.) Have you had 1000 visitors yet ? Are your prices good ? Does the look of your site do you justice - does it inspire confidence in you and your products ?

5. How do I change colours of headings etc?
You read these forums, the wiki at http://wiki.oscommerce.com and apply the knowledge.

I had a logo and everything and now it's all gone down the toilet!!!

And I can't for the life of me work out how to fix the error...

<?php

/*

$Id: index.php,v 1.1 2003/06/11 17:38:00 hpdl Exp $

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions

http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright © 2003 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License

*/

define('TEXT_MAIN', 'This is a test site for Ooh! Pretty Things! As this site is not yet operational, none of the merchandise is displayed, and no orders will be shipped or charged. Please email any questions or comments to [email protected] If you wish to download the solution powering this shop, or if you wish to contribute to the osCommerce project, please visit the <a href="http://www.oscommerce.com" target="_blank"><u>support site of osCommerce</u></a>. This shop is running on osCommerce version <font color="#f0000"><b>' . PROJECT_VERSION . '</b></font>.');

define('TABLE_HEADING_NEW_PRODUCTS', 'New Products For %s');

define('TABLE_HEADING_UPCOMING_PRODUCTS', 'Upcoming Products');

define('TABLE_HEADING_DATE_EXPECTED', 'Date Expected');

if ( ($category_depth == 'products') || (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'])) ) {

define('HEADING_TITLE', 'Ooh! Pretty Things!');

define('TABLE_HEADING_IMAGE', '');

define('TABLE_HEADING_MODEL', 'Model');

define('TABLE_HEADING_PRODUCTS', 'Product Name');

define('TABLE_HEADING_QUANTITY', 'Quantity');

define('TABLE_HEADING_PRICE', 'Price');

define('TABLE_HEADING_BUY_NOW', 'Buy Now');

define('TEXT_NO_PRODUCTS', 'There are no products to list in this category.');

define('TEXT_NO_PRODUCTS2', 'There is no product available from this manufacturer.');

define('TEXT_NUMBER_OF_PRODUCTS', 'Number of Products: ');

define('TEXT_SHOW', '<b>Show:</b>');

define('TEXT_BUY', 'Buy 1 '');

define('TEXT_NOW', '' now');

define('TEXT_ALL_CATEGORIES', 'All Categories');

} elseif ($category_depth == 'top') {

define('HEADING_TITLE', 'Ooh! Pretty Things!);

} elseif ($category_depth == 'nested') {

define('HEADING_TITLE', 'Categories');

}

?>

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!! I am about to cry!!

Ooh, I fixed it!!! It was one of those pesky ' missing.

I have no idea how to get rid of grey space, but I'm trying, believe me! OPT is going to look sooooo pretty once it's done. I have a 'vision', all I need is the coding expertise to achieve it.

*looks around for expertise*

Archived