• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Marketing scam or true vulnerability?

The latest news from Verisign is that ISP's and webhosts (MSP's) are liable if the merchant doesnt have an insured certificate. Basically the cart operator has libaility transferred to them from the merchant if they dont force their merchants to have a proper cert.

Well, thats the claim from Verisign, and I believe Comodo has a similar claim.

Some hostmasters say this is just a marketing scam. But they aren't necessarily operating carts that take credit cards, as opposed to almost everybody here who is. So I thought I'd ask, "What about it"???? Marketing scam or true vulnerability?

Comodo offers $2500 insurance, but my view is that US based hostmasters probably couldn't make them pay. Verisign offers $100,000 insurance for 40 bit gold seals, $250,000 for 128 bit gold seals, and $5000 for 40 bit silver seals (ie, the latter for shared hosting).

Both companies require the merchant to send them articles of incorporation to ID themselves, and they also require proper domain ownership. The idea is supposed to be Trust rather than just encryption. Does this matter? whaddaya think?

Archived