• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Meta Tags / Titles for product and catagory pages. SEO

Demented

I was just wondering if making OSC more Search Engine friendly was on the agenda at all??? I would like to see OSC imbed an option to have meta tags and different titles for all catagory and product pages. It would be nice to have so that you can get a decent page rank. My site has a page rank of 0. This is not good and inktomi dosnt pick up anything when they spider my site. So I was just wondering if making it search engine friendly was on the agenda at all??

Thanks in advance for your time.

Shane Miller

http://special-things.net

Shane A. Miller

OWNER

www.Special-Things.Net

No I saw that submission. I was just wondering when they are going to make it part og the code as a whole. It would be nice not to have to rely on mods for something that is EXTREAMLY important to a commerce site. I was just wondering if the writers were going to include this as a standard feature in the code.

Shane A. Miller

OWNER

www.Special-Things.Net

The word is that at the end of the 2.2MS cycle they're going to add some of the more desirable contributions. Watch for it around the Summer of 2020 or so at the current pace. :wink:

Well lets all hope that it wont take them that long to get through MS 3 and MS4. I like oscommerce I am learning alot by using this php software. I just want to see the Search engine friendly links acually work. There is an option for it in the admin but I dont know if they do anything for MS2. I wonder Does anyone know if the Serch engine Friendly links work in MS2?? just thought I would ask. :D

Demented

Shane A. Miller

OWNER

www.Special-Things.Net

Add this code snippet to your porductsinfo.php page

<?php

$title_query = tep_db_query("select pd.products_name from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " p, " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " pd where p.products_status = '1' and p.products_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'] . "' and pd.products_id = p.products_id and pd.language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'");

$prod_title = tep_db_fetch_array($title_query);

$newtitle = $prod_title['products_name'];

?>

then set your title tag to this

<title><?php echo $newtitle; ?></title>

now your products name will appear in the title tag of your page

I'll post more later, I am in the midst of settign one of these carts up, and it has to be 100% search engine friendly

The readme.txt says that the osC has to be installed in ROOT.

I've not seen many stores that are installed in the root of the domain. And, mine is not either.

Is there a work-around to allow this contribution to work in "/catalog" ?

You might want to try hacking the "seflt.php"

a quick look gets these two lines:

$host = $uriparts['host'].'/';

$path = $uriparts['path'];

You might want to try hard coding your path in the host or path part maybe - have not tried it yet myself.

OK I give where is the productinfo.php page? Did several searches on my HD copy and also on my server no luck.

<?php

$title_query = tep_db_query("select pd.products_name from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " p, " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " pd where p.products_status = '1' and p.products_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'] . "' and pd.products_id = p.products_id and pd.language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'");

?>

I'll post more later, I am in the midst of settign one of these carts up, and it has to be 100% search engine friendly

OK I give where is the productinfo.php page? Did several searches on my HD copy and also on my server no luck.

<?php

?>

I believe instead of porductsinfo.php, the intended filename is product_info.php. Should be at the root of your stores tree..

-MichaelC

I have it working on the store and if you put the testimonial in to the database direct it wroks. But if you use the admin it thows an error when you go to insert it:

It says: Fatal error: Call to undefined function: tep_array_merge()

...admin/testimonials_manager.php on line 64

Well I changed the table names on that page but the error message is beyond me...

This is what I have on line 64:

$sql_data_array = tep_array_merge($sql_data_array, $insert_sql_data);

I am not sure if the problem is the database or what. I thinkd the table is OK except I was unsure what default ' ' was so it is blank?????

Any ideas?

Chris

osC Contributions I have published.

Note: Some I only provided minor changes, updates or additions!

• 2 weeks later...

Chris you may want to leave the owner mail at his website http://osc.silencer.ispvds.com he is only supporting this mod through this web site or try the thread dedicated to this mod.

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=50336

I would think you would be able to add /catalog to the path to change it perminatly and make it work. I am going to try it I just hope it works. I need some questions answered so I am going to e-mail the creator directly. I hope this helps chris.

:idea:

Shane A. Miller

OWNER

www.Special-Things.Net

Archived