• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Force the use of sessions when cookies are only enabled

Not A Number

Hi all,

I'm trying to translate the part of the Admin/configuration area that isn't covered by language files, and I'm having some difficulties with this one in configuration-> sessions:

As an explanation to "Force Cookie use" it says:

"Force the use of sessions when cookies are only enabled"

... what exactly does that mean? I believe to know what it does, but wouldn't that have to says something like "Forces client to use/enable cookies when sessions are stored in a directory (and not in the DB)"

Why does it say "force the use of sessions" then? What does "when cookies are only enabled" mean?

Thanks for any help,

Peter

This space for rent

"Forces client to use/enable cookies when sessions are stored in a directory (and not in the DB)"
Not exactly, what it means is that the Session ID needs to be stored as a cookie, rather than as part of the URL. It has nothing to do with where sessions are stored on the server, just how the client stores the session ID.

I think that they meant to say "Force the use of cookies when sessions are enabled."

Hth,

Matt

I think that they meant to say "Force the use of cookies when sessions are enabled."

Cool, thanks...

oh, btw is it possible to disable sessions with 2.2 ms2? I mean apart from not specifying a correct path to where they're stored, and recieving an error message on every page?

greets,

Peter

This space for rent

If you disable sessions, then there will be nothing storing their shopping cart, etc. As such, it is correct for it to complain if it can't use sessions, because the cart won't function. In other words, I would answer that no.

Hth,

Matt

• 7 years later...

I'm having a similar issue with my website.

I enabled cookie use from admin page, but now when I go back to admin page, I can't seem to log back in to do anything. It just redirects me to the admin login page again.

Could someone help please ?

Is there a way to turn off force cookie use manually? (through database, etc...)

Archived