• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Changing the pages text

Giftbox

I was wondering if someone could tell me how to change the text on the main page so it does not say this is a test page and I can change it to my stuff. Also how do I go in and change the contact us page and the other pages that are in the links in the bottom left. I have searched the Admin area and can not figure this out. Any help would be great! :D

I believe if you actually read the first page it tells you how to do this.....but I wll explain:

In osCommerce you have many folders....the main folder is generally called catalog (unless changed by you). This is where most of the files that you will need to edit are contained. These files are mostly all code....and they reference "language" files which include the text for the page.

These "language" files are contained in /catalog/includes/languages/Your Language/. By going to this folder you will see the same file names as in /catalog

Open the "language" files up and you will find almost all of your text defined (headings, text, etc.).

Now there are a few pages that call for text that are not in the /catalog file (such as those files in the /catalog/includes folder like the header and footer) and the text for these files is generally defined in /catalog/includes/languages/Your Language.php.

HTH,

-Chris

Chris Sullivan

Hi,

I sure couldn't find anything about editing any files.

For instance, the text that implies that this is a test shop. What does that actually mean? Is there a switch you need to throw somewhere to make it a real live store? Sure, I'm a newbie to osCommerce, but not to the web, and I had to sit and search with the windows Find to figure out where anything is.

Anyways, back to the test shop. I couldn't find a way to say, "Ok, let's go real now". Nothing in the admin panel that says "activate". I had to manually go through and delete all that test stuff with the mouse and the movies, and the different languages. There was no simple cleanup, or empty or anything anywhere.

Is it me? Am I missing something?

oj

No. it's not you. The store is considered "live" when you are actually up and running, and processing transactions. "Test mode" just generally means that people can come onto your site, buy stuff, press buttons, and no transactions are actually processes, it's just for testing.

In order to have your shop the way you want you must clear the db of any products you don't want to sell, and you can delete the language files if you'd like. You can also delete quite a few of the images (as a lot of them are for products which you've deleted) and that will help save space on your server.

HTH,

-Chris

Chris Sullivan

Archived