• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

1. changing catalog folder name to xy - 2. install to root

tati

hi,

1. if i want to install osCommerce into a folder under my root that's not called catalog but lets say 'shop' that's no problem is it? i will only have to change the config files accordingly?

2. any reasons why i shouldn't install into the root folder directly so if somebody goes to www.mydomain.com they get the shop start page right away?

thanks!

1. No, no problem. Yes, although if you change it before running the install, it should configure it properly for you.

2. No, go ahead.

Hth,

Matt

1.  No, no problem.  Yes, although if you change it before running the install, it should configure it properly for you.

you mean rename the folder after i've copied up the folders + before running the install?

Hi,

I have tried running from root. Moved all the files and directory structure and updated configure in catalog and admin.

I now have session id's appearing in the url, where they were not there when it was running out of catalog/

Are there other files I need to change?

Thanks,

Ian

anybody else had problems like the described above? havn't installed it yet and won't install in the root if that's more than a matter of changing the config files and telling it during installation..

tati

• 3 weeks later...

btw I got around the problem I was having. I turned on Force Cookie Use in configuration, sessions and the sids in the url vanished.

Fine if you don't mind cookie only sessions. Site now runs fine on root.

good point -

should you be using worldpay or similar you might need cookies as soon as it comes to paying anyway, so it's probably best if customers realize they have to have there cookies enabled from the beginning.

does anybody know how the "Force Cookies" feature effects being picked up by Search Engine spiders? Do the search engines then only see the URLs without session id's or will osC 'scare' them off because it can't set a cookie???

Archived