• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

I ain't too proud to beg... HELP... I'm moving my store!!!

I was very surprised that I (key word "I") was able to get osCommerce up and running on my old server as easily as I did. It is certainly a tribute to the open source community and more specifically, these community support forums which I frequent liberally.

I'm now forced to switch my store from one server to another and I'm trying to make the switch as painless as possible. I followed Daemonj's advice as posted in the "Tips and Tricks" forum entitled moving your store and I've used phpMyAdmin and backed up my old database.

So here's where I am... I have a new server ready to go. Mysql is installed but I haven't created any database files yet. I have a backup of the entire directory structure from the old server and a backup of the stores database created via phpMyAdmin as per Daemonj's post. I haven't yet installed phpMyAdmin on the new server. What do I do and in what order? I'm not too bright, so please be specific. ;)

I was thinking that I'd just upload all of the directories and files to the new sever. Then I'd install phpMyAdmin. But I'm not sure what to do from there?!? Do I first need to create a "catalog" database with phpMyAdmin and then export the backed up database info into the new one... and if so, how? Do I just copy the database file via ftp into the right place and bypass using phpMyAdmin altogether? I hate to admit it, but I'm really clueless about the whole thing. Free karma power-ups to any and all who can help.

Thanks,

Bob

I was thinking that I'd just upload all of the directories and files to the new sever. Then I'd install phpMyAdmin. But I'm not sure what to do from there?!? Do I first need to create a "catalog" database with phpMyAdmin and then export the backed up database info into the new one... and if so, how? Do I just copy the database file via ftp into the right place and bypass using phpMyAdmin altogether? I hate to admit it, but I'm really clueless about the whole thing. Free karma power-ups to any and all who can help.

Install phpMyAdmin first. Use this to create a new empty database - after you have created your empty database you will see a dialog in phpMyAdmin "Run SQL query/queries on database" - use the browse button on this to browse to the *.sql file you saved from your old database - click the "go" button and your database will be imported

I tried it and received the following error:

Error

SQL-query :

INSERT INTO categories( categories_id, categories_image, parent_id, sort_order, date_added, last_modified )

VALUES ( 21, 'book.jpg', 0, 0, '2003-06-13 10:33:11', NULL )

MySQL said:

Duplicate entry '21' for key 1

As always, any suggestions are appreciated.

Bob

2 things I would do.

First clear out your NEW database - so there are no data or tables.

Second pull up you *.sql file in a text editor and seach for:

VALUES ( 21, 'book.jpg', 0, 0, '2003-06-13 10:33:11', NULL )

If you find 2 entries they you may have export it twice to the same file???

If so CARFULLY delete ALL the second entries and save as a new file. Try reimporting the new file.

Fair enough...

Prior to making the server switch, I backed up every file on my old server to my local hard drive. I then simply inserted the existing "catalog" directory into the /mysql/var/ directory. Nothing too exciting, but so far so good.

Thanks again everyone,

Bob

Archived