• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

newbie help please

Michiganmk

Can someone help me out?I just recently got a pre built site and it is way slow on the web.I tested at 63 second for 56k.I tried a few tips i came across searching the forums.They helped alot.IT was at 113 sec for 56k.I think my images are to big.I was wondering if i changed the image sizes(pixels) on the front page to like 50x50 would this help or does it not matter?Would the pics be the same initial size?And still load slow?

Also i think there is a bunch of stuff that does belong to my site.Stuff for another site the programmer must have put in by accident.I just happened to come across while looking around.This prob not helping much either.

I know nothing about "php" but i know how to use dream weaver.But i cant understand the php stuff in DWmx.Well anyways any help would be great.

Sorry for the confusing post.Ive been up for over 38 hours straight.Yea my site is a OSC site.I got it off someone who set it all up for me.But the site loads really slow online.I did a load test and its at 60+ seconds on a 56k modem.I know thats way to slow.I just cant figure out what i should do to make the site faster.

I do not know anything about this php stuff at all.I have read all the material i have found on this site.But i still do not know what to do.I was wanting to make the pictures on my main page smaller somehow and maybe the categories boxes on the main page smaller so maybe it would help the loading process.

I also kinda know how to use Dreamweaver mx.I Edited my main page on dreamweaver to get it to look exactly how i would like it to look.But im still to dumb to be able to figure out how to get it to php and to my host.

I guess its time to go to borders or something and try to find a book on php and start cramming.One way or another i will figure it out.Thanks.

If the site is slow because of your images, changing the php wont help that. You need to reduce the file size of those images. Do you have an image editor eg paintshoppro or photoshop?

Hey,

Exactly what freerangemum said. If you have a program such as photoshop, you can open the graphics files currently being used on your site and try to reduce their file size. One way would be to open the file, go to Save for Web, and then modify the settings on the right hand panel. The bottom left hand corner of that screen shows the file size. It updates as you modify the settings on the right and click "apply". This way you can try and reduce the file sizes which should help in your situation.

Hope this helps,

--Haider

Thanks everyone for the info.I used photoshop and downsized the images and my page loads a bit faster.I did a load test and it loaded in 38 seconds on a 56k.When i first started it was at 113 seconds/56k.Im making progress.Still searching this site for possibly ways to make my site faster.I didnt try the "save for the web" yet on photoshop but im going to try that right now after this post.

As you can prob tell im still a newbie.So thanks to all those who took the time to help someone out who knows nothing about building or running a website just yet.Honestly its still confusing but im having fun learning.

If anyone has any other tips i could try to make my site faster i would appreciate it.Thanks

P.S. Could someone tell me what file i need to access to change where it says on the front page "Categories" ?The Header with the 6 boxes and pics.I Changed it while poking around in the files and made a spelling error and now i cant find where i changed it for the life of me.Thanks

Most text editors have a 'find in files' type function that searches through all the files in a specified directory. If you enter the word or phrase you mis-spelled & search your oscommerce folders it should find it for you.

I will have to try and find a text editor.I have just been using notepad.Thanks for the info.And i got the Load test down to 23 seconds with a 56k.Much better then it was at when i started.Saving the files for the web in photoshop really helped.Thanks for that tip Haider.Thanks everyone.Now its time to try to figure out Meta tags :? .

Archived