• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Create Your Own Gift Baskets?

yrlady

Hello,

I want to start selling gifts baskets (using products already in my catalog). I want customers to be able to create their own gift baskets. How would I go about doing this?

I need to know what items are a part of the gift basket (just in case they add other products to their shopping cart which should not be included in the basket).

Can someone help me with this? Is there a contribution for this feature already?

Thanks alot.

There is not a contribution for this that I know of. This is something I'm going to be working on sometime over the next few weeks or so. Nothing cast in stone yet but I have a few ideas.

I'd love to see other's thoughts on how this might be accomplished though. :wink:

Hello,

I want to start selling gifts baskets (using products already in my catalog). I want customers to be able to create their own gift baskets. How would I go about doing this?

I need to know what items are a part of the gift basket (just in case they add other products to their shopping cart which should not be included in the basket).

Can someone help me with this? Is there a contribution for this feature already?

Thanks alot.

There is a computer configurator contribution. You can probably reconfigure that to do what you want.

Thank you for your reply...

With regards to ideas I might have here are mine...

I'm not a programmer but I think I would like the option of adding a message (birthday, anniversary, etc.) for the recipient of the gift.

Maybe you could start the create-a-gift-basket process by having the customers select an empty basket (this could be where you add in your charge for wrapping, etc.) You could list it as a product and call it something like "gift-basket service" with your fee as the price (for example ($5.95); customers would then add products from the catalog to the basket. They could see a running total of the basket as they add products.

I guess there has to be some way that the customer can close the gift basket to indicate that they are finished adding products to the gift package. At that point they can add the gift-basket to the regular shopping cart.

Anything added to the shopping cart after that would be shipped to the buyer separately. Like I said earlier in the post, you have to be able to differentiate what's in the gift basket and what's not. I guess it's sort of like the build you own PC contrib, but not exactly.

Just my 2 cents worth. Hope that helps. I'll check back often to see if you have made any progress. Wish I could help more!

There's one problem with your logic that I can see (I've been in the industry before so I know about it). If a person picks a basket what if they put too much (or too little) stuff in for the size of it. As you're probably aware basket prices can vary substantially from a small one to a large one.

The only workaround I've thought of so far is to figure out in advance how many products will fit in a particular size and then give appropriate options when the person has said they are finished (which creates a problem of what if they want to add additional items later before they checkout). In other words I think the basket itself should be the last choice not the first. The other issue this creates is that products come in all different shapes and sizes so it would be tough to decide the optimal number for a given basket.

One specific solution I've found is called baskweb (just add the dot com to get to the site). They have a list of items for people to choose from to create a custom basket. The thing I don't like about it is that unless you want to have 100s of items all on that one page it's difficult for a customer to create much of a variety. The way it handles combining items is helpful from a logic standpoint though.

In this case I don't think the computer configurator makes much sense as there really needs to be an infinite number of options (unlike in the case of a PC).

Hmmm......

There is a product estimation mod that might help you do what you want.

If you create each basket as a product and the set a size and make the items added based on that size, that shoiuld solve some issues.

Like in a small basket you would use sample size products for example and in a large basket - attach regular size products, etc

I don't see how that's different than the custom computer configurator contributions. :? It may be that the logic behind it will help some though. :wink: I do like the on-the-fly pricing though.

The small items in small baskets and large items in large baskets doesn't quite cut it (you can still put small items in large baskets - in fact it makes a better presentation as filler to do it that way and creates more perceived value that way).

As long as the estimates are reasonably close it won't hurt to have to go up or down one size. You just don't want a customer to be able to pick a cheap $3 basket only to find out later that the products chosen really require a $15 big mutha basket.

This might be a case for a Java applet that allows moving items from the left side (all products) to the right (basket contents). I don't know a darned thing about Java though. Anyone know any good sources for info on using it to create a simple mySQL inteface like this? (I can paint a bit more specific picture about how this would look if need be).

Thanks for the thoughts. Lots to think about still. :shock:

There's one problem with your logic that I can see (I've been in the industry before so I know about it). If a person picks a basket what if they put too much (or too little) stuff in for the size of it. As you're probably aware basket prices can vary substantially from a small one to a large one .......

OK.... the size of the basket wouldn't really matter as the basket price would only be your fee for arranging the items in the basket. So if you had 3 basket options (say small, medium and large) with 3 different arrangement prices, the customer can choose which size basket he/she wants.

Even if customers close the basket and place it in the shopping cart, they can go back and reopen the basket, add more items, choose another basket size, close the basket again and add it to the shopping cart. It's like a small shopping cart sytem within in a larger shopping cart system.

Maybe another way around it is to add another button on the item description page that says "add to gift basket", so the customer can add the item to the gift basket right from the item description page just like adding items to the regular shopping cart. When they use this option they would be taken to another page that gives them the price options for the baskets (service charge) as well as sizes. They could be given the option to choose the size basket now or after they have finished creating the gift. Based on the number of items they choose, they would know what size basket they would need.

After they have finished shopping and go to their shopping cart the contents of the cart would be listed something like this:

Clip.jpg

The only thing I didn't come with yet is if they wanted to ship the basket to another location and the other products to their regular shipping address.... oh well...

Don't know how logical or do-able this is... just another 2cents...

Keep brainstorming!

• 3 years later...

Archived