Jump to content
  • Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch


The e-commerce.

what do I need to do?


Recommended Posts



I am a foreigner with a Student visa at the US, and I'm planning on opening a lil online shop that sells used books online. Is there anything I need to do? I just want to sell books... do I need to get permit to sell, or anything? or setup tax, open a company...


or can i just open a site that sells these things, and not open any formal businesses? is it illegal to sell used books online with no permit or anything? thank you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

did some exploring of my own, and found out i need a merchant account, and i can get it from several places.


do you guys reccomend any? (i found http://www.2checkout.com)


and still not sure about gettnig a merchant accnt with a student visa, or this isnt a issue at all?


and, do i need a merchant acct for sure? is there anything else i need to setup?


one other non legal related thing....


how do i setup the credit card part? is that through the merchhant account's thing, or through paypal?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

WARNING - Student Visa. Check to see what you can do for "work" under your visa. If not allowed you may void this and you might have to reapply for a different visa or be forced to leave the country.


On the other hand - if you collect the money though your home contry....???


If it all okay then apply for a local business registration or reseller's certificate with your new business name. In some places you don't have to - however then you have to use your personal name ie: Joe Smith - could run a business as "Mr.Smith's Electrical and Electronics" or "Joe's Computers" ect... But then they have to make things payable to "Joe Smith"

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...