• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Two Final Questions (I hope)

exstaticj

This application is great!!! Thanks to all who have made contributions to the developement and to this post. You are apprecieated indeed. I installed just 6 short days ago and I am almost ready to go live. Pretty good considering that I had never heard of php prior to stumbling on the osc web site. I have two questions that I couldn't find the answers to on this board or in the wikki guide. Perhaps someone here can help. Please type slowly, as I have a hard time keeping up with you gurus. LOL

Question 1:

How do I go about changing the title bar and taskbar button text to reflect my website name and not osc? I learned how to change it in html, but this application seems so much different that I don't know where to start. Do I only have to change it in one spot, or do I have to make the change on every page as with html?

Question 2:

How do I edit the text for the email notifications? This one must be simple and I have probably overllooked it. It seems that my eyes are a little fuzzy after reading 200+ pages of this forum in the last 3 days. I'm looking specifically for the order status emails (pending, shipped, delivered). I'm not looking to totally revemp the template, just make some minor text changes to add a personal touch.

Well, I guess that is actually more than two questions. LOL Any help that you guys/gals could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance,

Jonathan

The New Guy

How do I go about changing the title bar and taskbar button text to reflect my website name and not osc? I learned how to change it in html, but this application seems so much different that I don't know where to start. Do I only have to change it in one spot, or do I have to make the change on every page as with html?

Catalog/includes/languages is where most of the text changes are made

Question 2 http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,1435

Thanks for the reply chfields,

I'm afraid that I may be too daft to follow though. I am very new to php and this file system. When I looked at the files in Catalog/includes/languages I am unable to find where to change the email text or the taskbar/titlebar text.

Also, the download that you suggested seems to be a bit more than I am lookong for. All that I am trying to do is change simple text in the emails. For example, if someone were to want to pay via money order, they would be sent an email confirmation when they complete checkout. One of the lines in the email are "Your order will not ship until we receive payment". That is what I want to change, but I can't seem to find where the text is located.

Any suggestions? Perhaps a little slower this time.

Thanks again,

Jonathan

Tha New Guy

Thanks Northernlights!

I was able to complete question one. I appreciate your help. I am still unable to change the email text that I am looking for. I have just used the control+F function with the query "EMAIL_TEXT" on all the files located in catalog/includes/languages/[language]/. There were two files that had positive results on this search.

The first file was checkout_process.php where I was able to change the email subject from "order process" to "Thank you for your order". but there was no text to change in this file. I don't understand it. When I tested the email, the subject was indeed changed, but the text "Your order will not ship until we receive payment" was still in the email. I went back to checkout_process.php to see if I had overlooked the text, but it is not located in that file.

The second file was create_account.php. This one was already written beautifully so there is no need for me to make changes.

Here is specifically what I am looking to do:

I want to change the text on the email that is sent when someone places an order.

I want to change the text and subject line on the email that is sent when I ship the order.

I want to change the text and subject line on the email that is sent when the order delivery has been confirmed.

Does anyone know how I can do this? I appreciate all of the help so far, you are all teaching me a lot. As time goes on, I will put back into this board what I am getting out of it, I just need to learn a little first.

Thanks again,

Jonathan

The New Guy

most of the text messages are defined as variables, so if you want to use the cart in a different (or several) languagues you don't have to change any of the module code.

the variables are almost always declared in the /catalog/includes/languages subdirectories (english, espanol, etc), and usually are in the same filename as the module that calls them (ie: default.php calls the declarations in /languages/xxx/default.php).

have a look through these directories and you should find what you need.

good luck!

-al

most of the text messages are defined as variables, so if you want to use the cart in a different (or several) languagues you don't have to change any of the module code.

the variables are almost always declared in the /catalog/includes/languages subdirectories (english, espanol, etc), and usually are in the same filename as the module that calls them (ie: default.php calls the declarations in /languages/xxx/default.php).

Hi Halbert,

Thank you for trying to answer my question. I followed your instructions but I don't think they apply to my situation. I want to change the specific text, "Your order will not ship until we receive payment". I have just used the control+F function with the query "Your order" on all the files located in catalog/includes/languages/english/ as well as in admin/includes/languages/english/. There several pages that had results for the term, "Your order", some pages with several instances. However, none of the results were part of the text "Your order will not ship until we receive payment".

If I can't find the text, I can't change it. Any thoughts as to which specific file this snippet of text may be in? I'm sure that if I can find this one sentence, I will be able to gain a better understanding of how to modify email text.

Where is it hiding?

TIA,

Jonathan

The Tired Frustrated New Guy who is still happy to be configuring this great application.

Hi.

I've just used the search function on the whole catalog and not only did it not find it , but didn't find even simple words that I know are there. Somehting isn'r working on the side of things with these files????

Roger

facts invariably distort the truth

Hi.

I've just used the search function on the whole catalog and not only did it not find it , but didn't find even simple words that I know are there. Somehting isn'r working on the side of things with these files????

Roger

Thanks Amoun!!! I'm glad to see someone else has the same results as me. I was about to check myself into a mental institution. I thought I was crazy. I see it in the emails, not in the files...

I am new to php, so this really makes no sense to me. However, it has my curiosity. It is my quest, to scour the boards until I find the answer. If someone knows the answer, please save me the medical costs and post it here.

TIA

Jonathan

The Not so Crazy New Guy

No answer yet, and I've started looking for somehting now. I did a search for osCommerce which is on every file in the heading for copyrite reasons. Yet only 12 files came up in my search of the whole catalog??????????????????????

Hey Hey, I've just found waht your looking for. Becomes obvious when you think about it. It' in the moneyorder.php

"catalogincludesmodulespayment"

I'm trying to find where the labels for the accounts are as I'm in the UK and want to change State to County. Can I find it no. been at it for hours. I must be crazy

Roger

Hey Hey, I've just found waht your looking for. Becomes obvious when you think about it. It' in the moneyorder.php

"catalogincludesmodulespayment"

Were you able to find the exact text "Your order will not ship until we receive payment"? I just looked in my moneyorder.php file and the text is not there. Strange.

As for your quest to change country to state...

Have you looked in catalog/create_account.php? Around line 20 is the following:

}

}

$country = tep_db_prepare_input($HTTP_POST_VARS['country']);

I don't know if that will help or not as I am new to this php thing and don't even know what the above code means. It just seems like a step in the right direction.

See also:

http://wiki.oscommerce.com/helpModsEditAccount

I know it's not specifically what you are looking for, but it might help.

Good luck on your quest!

Jonathan

The Perplexed New Guy

Hi..I've been directed to what I nwas looking for, I must be going blind or like I imagen you are, over-tired.

It's at the end of a long line 15:

The page is:

catalogincludeslanguagesenglishmodulespayment.php

Here's the code for your:

"

define('MODULE_PAYMENT_MONEYORDER_TEXT_EMAIL_FOOTER', "Make Payable To: ". MODULE_PAYMENT_MONEYORDER_PAYTO . "nnSend To:n" . STORE_NAME_ADDRESS . "nn" . 'Your order will not ship until we receive payment.');

"

Well I've just had 4 hours sleep, hope your getting more than that. I almost couldn't find it again :?

Roger

If you're using Windows XP's search function, it "helpfully" refuses to look in file types for which it doesn't have a registered filter. I didn't know about this and it drove me crazy, until I read a tip in the (now) current issue of PC Magazine as to how to fix this. It's rather long and drawn out - see it here.

It's odd, though, I don't seem to have that particular file, though I know I've seen the text. Perhaps I need some coffee...

Steve

As you've probably found, Window's Search function doesn't work so well...

There are a number of good utilities out there to try. Check out Search and Replace by Funduc software www.funduc.com or any of the other search utilities found on www.download.com.

I have used several different ones, and all have their strengths and weaknesses. Try away, and don't forget to pay your shareware fees!

-al

Archived