• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How can I run osCommerce offline on my laptop?

amoun

Hi.

I'm running winXP. I have downloaded a couple of 'servers' (apache and savant). I'm concerned that apache will want a proper DNS to install it too and savant won't handle php etc.

Any ideas on which 'server' I can use. I really want to edit my shop offline and then ftp the modified files etc. :?

Roger

facts invariably distort the truth

Without being rude!! Are you saying that your suggestion will allow me an full offline system. What about the DNS thingy that I'm worried apache will ask for, and where do I find 'phpdev'.

I suppose I'm being worried and lazy here, I could do a www search for phpdev while I'm waiting for your next invaluable contribution to my growth.

More honey to you and bear hugs.

Amoun,

Matt suggested that I try using "easyphp" to make the download work out on a pc. I haven't tried it so I have no clue if it works but I thought it was worth suggesting . If you want to check the advice directly, go to my posts, his advice is posted on the first page, directly before yours .

Lemme know if Bear's advice works also...

Lots of luck :wink:

P.S. - if you want easyphp then follow this link :arrow: http://www.download.cnet.com and do a serch for easyphp

I don't know much about Macs, but I would think that there would be BSD ports of PHP, MySQL, and Apache available that would work on OSX. Windows is harder to do in a way, because all those programs were originally designed to work on Linux/Unix. That shouldn't be a problem with OSX.

Hth,

Matt

Nusphere is also an easy one. We run about all our pre-installs offline on our desktops and laptops for local viewing before uploading to the net.

However, if you are talking in terms of running it on your laptop and syncing it with your online db there are certain privileges that you will need such as ability to flush the db, ability to connect from anywhere - which a lot of virtually hosted accounts prohibit. If you are using php 4.3 then the syncronization of online db with offline client is much easier.

yes a full offline and your ip is 127.0.0.1 and a way you go

The_Bear

Hi to The_Bear

I've tried contacting <[email protected].> to see if I can update the apache server as I have already downloaded apache 2.0

It has some secuirty holes fixed etc. over apache 1.3 but haven't heard from them yet so I may go ahead with your suggestion.

I'll let you know how I get on, you'll be gald to know :lol:

>Sent: Saturday, August 09, 2003 3:41 PM

>Subject: phpdev and apache2

> Hi

>

> I have already downloaded apache2 but am worried that I can't insatll it offline as it will want a DNS or other stuff. Your offer seems better for less well endowed infant hosters.

>

> Can I use the updated apache with your compilation

>

> Roger

I am using an old 700 mhz laptop with 256 mb memory and I have separately installed:

Apache 2.0.44

PHP 4.3.0 (I need to upgrade)

MySQL 3.23.52-max-nt (probably should upgrade)

phpMyAdmin 2.5.2

PHPEdit v0.7.1.86 (really need to upgrade)

and I am still running an older snapshot of osCommerce from last october.

( 2.2ms2 has been downloaded, just haven't installed it yet)

All this works really great and the installs have gone very well.. just read the docs with each application and you should be fine.

It is a great environment for really digging into how osCommerce works and not having to worry about breaking anything when you try some changes.

Just be sure that you take Bears guidance about setting up your ip address as 127.0.0.1 so it will work.

Thanks.

I hope you're going to be available as I do this :lol:

Did you insatll them in any particular order??

Roger

No... Not really.. I came across each of the packages except apache and PHP at sourceforge.net or independently through friends. I learned of osCommerce through a friend that was looking at ECHOnline. i.e. ECHO. I saw that they were using osCommerce to advance their payment gateway and came to the osCommerce site. I have to say that the osCommerce developers have started something pretty spectacular. And the fact that the PHP language is strong and becoming stronger, and that so many people can contribute to the advancement of osCommerce, it will become (if not already) a stellar solution for eCommerce. The passion for contribution is great for this eCommerce platform and the "grassroots" of osCommerce are strong. PHP keeps growing and becoming ingrained to the cause of business and MySql is just outstanding. I have consulted to some of the largest corporations in the land and the resource potential of Linux, Apache, MySql and PHP (LAMP), are second to none. Java is out there because of Sun and we all know of the MS juggernaut. But solutions built on PHP and Apache take no back seat to MS. The current "lawsuit" that SCO has against IBM and Linux is an out and out fraud. Hopefully, the end game will kill the jerks at SCO. (Those guys at SCO are from Caldera, which was a great force for Linux in third world countries. But I think they got greedy and when they bought SCO, they backed some Linux code into their source and are claiming that is was theirs. And, by the way, just one month before the filing of the lawsuit, SCO made a big deal with lots of money involved with MS. hmmm.... could it be... SATAN).

Hey... it is Friday... I have been out with friends and drank some wine and the pain threshold is very high...

If you need some insight in getting this stuff on your laptop I will try to help... but the best advice I can give you is to get the packages I referred to in the previous post. Go through the installs as outlined in each of them... learn from that experience... make mistakes and then correct them... but if you do it on your own.... you will be better for it on the other side. Just read the "readme" files and the install documents and you will surprise yourself on how well you do and just how awesome this open source community operates.

Hmmm... A simple question and I go off like a politician in front of a TV camera.

Thanks

Your ramblings are much appreciated. But I've just lost access to my admin. have posted it on Installation and Configuration. (Maybe you could have a look at the error messages and give me clue. If I can't get it sorted soon I'll have to do my third install in three days.

Similar to your ideas, mistakes are the maiking of man! Did I say that. Sh*t.

I was just about gearing up to load apche, damn it! :lol: I only found this oScommerce due to hosting my own domain etc three days ago and I haven't had much sleep. Must get out in the wild soon to cool off in the hot weather we're having over here in the UK

All the best

Will no doubt conect with you again

Roger

Archived